Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjmm1973 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2009, 05:38 PM
    200 amp service to 2 100 amp sub panels
    I have a 200 amp meter main

From it I want to run 2 100 amp sub panels about 150' in distance for each

I want to be able to draw max amps from each at any given time

My plan is to use direct burial type wire and run both wires leaving meter main inside one
    2" conduit riser - to 2 separate 100 amp sub panels

it will be buried 24" deep and I will run flagging tape 12" above

question -

1) what is max wire size for max load in each panel? (150' max in length)

2) can i run both wires in 1 2" conduit into meter main (after I leave meter main it will not be in pipe (direct burial) until it reaches sub panel and then each wire will have its own 2" riser)

3) what's the larges wire can fit in a 100 amp breaker (Eaton)
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 4, 2009, 04:42 AM
    My answers in bold:

1) what is max wire size for max load in each panel? (150' max in length)

Assuming full load of 100 amps, I arrive at #1/0 aluminum, see attached voltage drop calculator result

2) can I run both wires in 1 2" conduit into meter main (after i leave meter main it will not be in pipe (direct burial) until it reaches sub panel and then each wire will have its own 2" riser)

8- #1/0 al XHHW will fit is 2 " Sch 40 PVC

3) what's the larges wire can fit in a 100 amp breaker (Eaton)[/quote]

A CH # BR2100 can handle up to #1/0 wire, see page 5 of the attached datasheet from Cutler Hammer. By the way, there is a label on each breaker stating the allowed wire size.

Each 100 amp feeder will need a circuit breaker at the meter location. How will this be done? You may connect both 100 amp feeders to the 200 amp meter with no disconnect at the meter, and have 100 amp disconnects at the load end, if allowed by code and utility.

Each feeder will need 4 conductors, so will 4 wire URD cable be used?
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf TD00502001E[1] 5.pdf (65.0 KB, 445 views)
  2. File Type: pdf Voltage Drop Calculator.pdf (289.5 KB, 2348 views)

May 4, 2009, 07:35 AM
    I will be using wire with 2 hots (black, red) 1 nuetral (white) and 1 #4 ground

my plan is to put a 100 amp breaker in the main to feed each panel and another 100 amp at the load end (isnt this per code?)

my question - can I fit 2 - 1/0 wires in a 2" pipe -
    your answer = YES
    I could fit up to 8 #1/0 wire in this pvc pipe -
    did I understand your answer correctly?

how many watts can I safely pull from each 100 amp sub panel at one time? -

welding machine and a kiln
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 4, 2009, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmm1973 View Post
    i will be using wire with 2 hots (black, red) 1 nuetral (white) and 1 #4 ground

my plan is to put a 100 amp breaker in the main to feed each panel and another 100 amp at the load end (isnt this per code?)
    Usually 100 A is the maximum breaker allowed for feeders. Disconnects at a remote location can be equal or greater than the feeder. You can feed with a 100 A breaker and have a 125 A or greater for a disconnect.

my question - can i fit 2 - 1/0 wires in a 2" pipe -
    your answer = YES
    i could fit up to 8 #1/0 wire in this pvc pipe -
    did i understand your answer correctly?
    The type of wire or outer diameter and to another extent, how many wires are current carrying makes a difference. I'll let tk answer that.

how many watts can i safely pull from each 100 amp sub panel at one time? -

welding machine and a kiln
    Tough question actually. Generally you don't want the breaker loaded for 80% of what it's rated for continuous loads or loads expected to be on for more than 3 hours. 100 A is permissible for short times.

Sizing the neutral depends on a lot of factors because the neutral contains the difference of the currents in line 1 and line 2.
    Uber Member

May 4, 2009, 09:36 AM
    Yes, you understand correctly. 8 - #1/0 Al XHHW will fit in 2 " PVC

You can draw 24,000 watts for less than 3 hours from a 100 amp circuit.

3 hours or more must be derated 80%, so only a max of 19,200 would be allowed.

I am still not very clear how you plan to handle the distribution of two 100 amp feeders at the service and/or meter.

May 4, 2009, 06:16 PM

OK so here what I ended up with after going to 3 supply houses

1/0 direct burial is hard to find - no one had it and when I found someone willing to find it (1 week on order) - it ended up being much more than the 2/0

Couldn't have reduced to #2 because the distance is 175 ft so I need to go up one size wire - couldn't go up to 2/o wire with 100 amp breaker since it is rated for 1/o max

I did a little research - found out the larges breaker kutler hammer makes in the BR series is a 150 - so I ordered to and got 2 lengths of the 2/o wire - its 2 hots 2/o nuetral is a bit smaller (dont remember guage) and a separate #4 wire for ground (also rated for direct burial)

My plan is to have two 100 amp sub panels each being fed from the 200 amp meter main with 2/o wire

In the meter main I will have 2 150 watt BR breakers that feed the 100 amp sub panels
    (sub panels have there own 100 amp breaker in panel)

I put each 2/o wire 4 conductor in its own 2" pipe -- i have to drill a hole in the side of the meter main w/ a 2 1/2" hole saw to add the extra 2" pipe

Only thing I have powered at meter main is my 50 amp RV and 30 amp for well - and the 2 100 amp sub panels

Does all this sound up to par?

Thank so so much for your guidance

May 6, 2009, 05:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmm1973 View Post
    ok so here what i ended up with after going to 3 supply houses

1/0 direct burial is hard to find - no one had it and when i found someone willing to find it (1 week on order) - it ended up being much more than the 2/0

couldnt have reduced to #2 because the distance is 175 ft so i need to go up one size wire - couldnt go up to 2/o wire with 100 amp breaker since it is rated for 1/o max

i did a little research - found out the larges breaker kutler hammer makes in the BR series is a 150 - so i ordered to and got 2 lengths of the 2/o wire - its 2 hots 2/o nuetral is a bit smaller (dont remeber guage) and a seperate #4 wire for ground (also rated for direct burial)

my plan is to have two 100 amp sub panels each being fed from the 200 amp meter main with 2/o wire

in the meter main i will have 2 150 watt BR breakers that feed the 100 amp sub panels
    (sub panels have there own 100 amp breaker in panel)

i put each 2/o wire 4 conductor in its own 2" pipe -- i have to drill a hole in the side of the meter main w/ a 2 1/2" hole saw to add the extra 2" pipe

only thing i have powered at meter main is my 50 amp RV and 30 amp for well - and the 2 100 amp sub panels

does all this sound up to par?

thank so so much for your guidance
    Yo fellas

Never heard anything back! Does my plan sound legit - is it all up to par?
    Uber Member

May 7, 2009, 02:11 AM
    Plan sounds OK to get around the obstacles.

You could get wire reducers, but these are crimp on and need special crimp tool and die, which may be available as rental at supply house.

Or the #2/0 could be reduced in a junction box just short of the 100 amp breakers, allowing #2 to be spliced onto the #2/0 and continue onto the 100 amp breaker.

I am still not sure how the main breakers will be arranged and connected to the meter, whether 100 or 150 amp.

May 7, 2009, 09:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Plan sounds OK to get around the obstacles.

You could get wire reducers, but these are crimp on and need special crimp tool and die, which may be available as rental at supply house.

Or the #2/0 could be reduced in a junction box just short of the 100 amp breakers, allowing #2 to be spliced onto the #2/0 and continue onto the 100 amp breaker.

I am still not sure how the main breakers will be arranged and connected to the meter, whether 100 or 150 amp.
    The 150 amp breakers are std BR style breakers that plug direct into meter main just as if it where a 30 amp 2 pole -- the BR 150 breaker only takes up 2 spaces in panel

So I would have a 150 amp at the top - then another 150 amp below it - then a 50 amp for RV and a 30 amp for well - then a 20 amp for servie outlet at panel

I have a surge protector for a homeline panel - I'm not sure if it will fit in the cutker hammer/eaton panel - when you compare the breakers visually it looks OK -

Do you know if it will fit?- if it fits -
    Can I put the surge protector in the cutler hamer panel by code? (even though its homeline brand)
    Uber Member

May 7, 2009, 10:39 AM
    Ok , I have a better idea, sounds like a meter combo with a 200 amp panel, or some method of having two 150 amp breakers with a 200 amp meter.

??

Something tells me I need to see that to believe it. I can come up with some obscure exceptions or reasons for that, just not something one would see every day.

Any surge protector can be used with any manufacturer switchgear, unless there is some proprietary limitation involved. A built in unit would constitute such a condition.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Running two 100 amp main panels from a 200 amp service [ 27 Answers ]

Greetings! I live in a rural country area. The electric company will be installing a pole, meter, and 200amp service with disconnect at pole. (It will require 50 foot run of service cable from pole to main load center in mobile). Currently the double wide has a General Electric 100amp Main...

Grounding Service Panels [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for advise in proper grounding of service panels. I have a 200 amp disconnect at the pole under my meter. From here I run into a 100 amp service panel (about 70ft from the pole) with a 100 amp breaker. I came off this box with another 100amp breaker to a second box (about another 70ft...

400 amp service, 2 200 amp panels, 320 amp meter socket [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, this is my first post here, but I have been reading a lot and have already learned a bunch. I want to thank TK already and hope you reply to this. I am in the process of designing my electrical system for my new home. I have some electrical experience, but am by no means a pro. I am...

Two eletrical service panels with new home generator [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, We had a Carrier home generator installed due to excessive power outages. In the process, the men installed an additional elec. Box and we chose the various circuits that would get power in the event of a power failure. A friend said that we should not have two "hot" boxes. In other...

400 amp service with 2-200 amp panels & 320 amp socket [ 6 Answers ]

Hi TK. I am running 400 amp service into my new contruction home. The electric compnay is running a single 400 amp line to the meter. I have to split it to the two panels at that point. You had told me once before that I need a 320 amp meter socket and then run 2-200 amp lines to the separate...

View more questions Search