Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maryrem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2006, 11:44 AM
    Ceiling fan wires
    Help! I installed a fan a few yrs ago. It wabbled so we tried to fix that and ended up messing up the light. Today we decided to fix the light. After taking the light kit off it was noticed that only white was coming from the fan to the light kit and black/blue was gone (somewhere in the downrod?). We took the fan down, but due to the height and weight as well as how well the wires from fan to ceiling were connected (electrical tape and caps) - a blue and black wire were completely stripped out of the set up.
    So we thread them back through the fan/downrod and proceeded to connect... However... nothing is working.
    From the ceiling we have a black a white and a green each capped and two red in the ceiling connected to each other. From the fan/downrod we have a black, a white a blue and a green. (The greens are fine, ground all set - the white is good to go, connected to each other)
    Ive connected the black and blue fan wires to the black ceiling wire but the light kit only has the blue and the white. So I tried connecting both the black and blue to the blue from the light kit. Didn't work.
    I also tried connecting the blue wire from the fan to the red wires in the ceiling, that just managed to change the configuration of the switches.
    (note we have 2 switches one for fan and one for light - there are actually 2 porch fans connected to these switches) when I wired the blue to the 2 reds in the ceiling... the other fan that usually works with light from one switch and fan from other switch, it made both switches work both light and fan at the same time?

Im thinking that the blue wire from the fan should go to the fan but where does the black wire end. Shouldn't it be connected to the motor and not hanging loose in the section for the light kit!!

HELP
    nonadjustablemind Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2006, 08:45 PM
    Is the red on a sperate switch? If so that could be your fan switch leg.
    Which would go to the lead for the fan, and black from celing would go to the lead from your light kit. It would be best to get a tester and see which color gets a reading from which switch and try to go from there
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2006, 03:57 PM
    I would take the motor down from the ceiling and test it on a separate power source until you get it working.

The blue connects directly to the light as you suspected. The black usually connects to "L" on the pullchain switch assembly.

And for that wobbling problem:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/b...ing-issues.php
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2006, 03:59 PM
    I will add, as for your ceiling wiring, I would think the fan black would connect to the ceiling black(s), and the fan blue to the ceiling red(s). If the switches operate the wrong things, then switch them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan wires? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan with wires blue, black and white, but I have no idea where to connect them with the ceiling supply box. Or in other words do I connect the black into red and blue into blue and I have no idea where white goes plzzz help. Thanks

Wiring Ceiling Fan with Two Ground Wires [ 6 Answers ]

Trying to install a ceiling fan... From ceiling: white, black, green and copper wire From fan: white, black, blue and green Connected white.white, black & blue to black... QUESTION: Do I connect green from fan to green in junction box, or to green and copper in junction box? If...

Red wires and ceiling fans [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to replace an existing celing fan. The outlet box has 3 wires, red black and white. It's not clear which is the ground wire. Also, the fan directions say that there is a ground wire coming from the motor, but there is not. There is, however, a grounding wire on the mounting...

3 wires on ceiling fan [ 5 Answers ]

I picked up a Hampton Bay ceiling fan second hand (minus installation instructions). I went to install it and found that it has three wires: one white, one black, and one blue. There was no ground wire. Is it safe to assume that the blue wire is the ground wire or is it something else? Any thoughts...

Ceiling Fan Wiring - Too Many Wires? [ 3 Answers ]

I hope someone can help. I am putting up a ceiling fan on my outside patio. It can be controlled by two different switches from my house. One in the bedroom and one in the dining room. That's why I think I have extra wires. Here is what I have: From ceiling: 2 black 2 white 1 green 1...

View more questions Search