Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nonnalene Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2009, 07:47 AM
    Humming noise
    We have started having a loud humming noise from the water pipes. It seems to go away while the toilet is flushed or the shower is on. Is loudest in the room where our washer and dryer is located. Have not had any plumbing work done other than recently(about two weeks ago) having new water heater installed. Help
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 7, 2009, 08:01 AM
    First make sure the lever is free and not hanging up letting water seep past the flapper. Then check the linkage between the flapper and the flush lever, When the tank is full you should have at least 1/4" of play. I have found this vibration occurs when a very small amount of water is seeping past the flapper causing the ballcock to open just far enough to cause vibration between tha ballcock washer and the seat causing the pipes to pick it up and amplify it. This noise will stop when you jiggle the handle thus seating the flapper firmly. You might also check the edge of your flapper. If it has wavey edges, replace it. Another thing to check is the the washer vibrating against the ballcock seat. The reason it stops when you turn the water on is that you have lowered the pressure by opening a valve. You can go at this two ways. (1) you can lower the pressure by turning the angle stop located below the tank until the noise stops or, (2) you can shut off the stop and remove the three screws on top and cup your hand over the top and just crack the stop enough to flush out any trash that may be in there. After you do that pull the washer out of its holder and flip it over in its holder and reinstall the top and float. One of the two should do the trick. If not click on back and we will go to plan B. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. TOM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low humming noise from heater fan [ 5 Answers ]

We recently turned on our heater at our house we just purchased this summer. When we turned it on and the fan kicks on, there is a deep low humming sound that you can almost feel when you are at the top of the stairs. Any ideas?

Humming noise [ 1 Answers ]

I hear a humming noise coming from my attic. It does not seem connected to the AC unit or Water Heater. The noise comes and goes often without any specific pattern

Humming noise [ 3 Answers ]

A humming noise from a light fixture--when turned on-means what? No dimmer Non-fluoresecent Just a question :D

CPU Noise - Humming [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 651-M motherboard (Micro ATX motherboard) which has the SiS651 Northridge and SiS962L Southbridge Chipsets. My system is running Win XP Home with 2 GB of RAM and 80 GB Hard drive. I am experienceing a loud humming noise coming from the Computer. This happens every time that I use the...

View more questions Search