Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gofixer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2009, 09:14 PM
    Outlets in a Series Controlled by Two Three Way Switches
    Hello,

We recently painted a room and decided to change out all the switches and outlets to white ones. After switching everything out we checked all outlets and the worked. We forgot however, to clip the tabs on some of them so that they were controlled by the three way switch.

Here's what we then did:

We clipped the right tab in what we think is the first outlet of the series. After we did this, the outlet was separated to one controlled by the switch and one always hot. However, the other 6 outlets in the room were all also completely controlled by the switch. We proceeded to clip the tab on what we thought was the second and third outlets in the series. The clipping of these tabs did not change anything. When we clipped the fourth tab in the series, the remaining three outlets no longer work and only the bottom outlet works (still controlled by the switch).

Previously the first 4 outlets in the series were controlled by the switch and the last 3 operated independently.

We were pretty methodical about making sure the wires were in the right positions. It does seem however, that the bottom outlet, from the first outlet set in the series is powering the rest of the room, and that the power is cut now after the fourth outlet set. What can we do to get these outlets working correctly again?

If it helps, the right side wiring is as follows on each of the outlets (there are two whites on the left side of each one)
    1st: two blacks (two reds are tied together, but not connected to the outlet)
    2nd: two reds (2 black and 1 red tied together inside)
    3rd: two reds
    4th: red on top, black on bottom (three black tied together)
    5th: two black
    6th: two black
    7th- end of series, one white on left, one black on right.

Is it possible the person who wired the room paid no attention to red and black?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 23, 2009, 07:42 AM

Anything is possible.

Where is the supply coming from and how is it routed to the switch?

Please check your panel box. I'd like to know if the circuit is wired as a multi-wired circuit (Both Black and Red connected to individual breakers with a shared Neutral <White>) or is the circuit being fed by a single breaker?

Any information or pictures you can provide may help us unsnarl your problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring 2 fans controlled by 2 switches [ 4 Answers ]

We have a new home and had wiring put in for 2 fans on the patio. These fans are controlled by 2 switches. In other words you should be able to control both fans from two places. I'm confused by the fact that there are 4 wires to the fan mounts. 1 red, 1 black, 1 white, and a ground. After...

No power to outlets/switches [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have an electrical issue in my kitchen. I have 3 GFI's (one of which operates), 1 standard outlet and 2 switches (one which operates an exhaust vent and one for an overhead fluorescent light and the disposal. I only have current to the one GFI. The breaker is not tripped, nor is it hot to...

Wiring a remote controlled fan to run from dual switches on wall [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a new remote controlled hampton bay mediterranian fan and want to be able to control the fan and lights from wall switches as well. How do I wire it to the switches to run each separately?

Wire connections for wall switches remotely controlled [ 2 Answers ]

I have two pool lights connected in series to a single wire. I purchased two remote switches and a remote controller. I do not know how to correctly connect the two switches s they can be operated separtely.:confused:

A few outlets and light switches not working [ 2 Answers ]

Just recently we lost power on several outlets/lights in a section of the house. It tripped when we tried to plug the vacuum cleaner into one of the outlets. Ever since then the power is not coming back. I have checked the circuit breaker and test for voltage with a DMM (with one side touching...

View more questions Search