Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamrap999 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Feb 14, 2009, 05:55 PM
    Can I fix appliance damaged by power surge?
    I live in the south of france where we recently had the worst winds in 10 years bringing a lot of phone and power lines down. I was unlucky and my power cables were torn down and snapped. The snapped wires kept on touching causing huge power surges in my house. This made the light bulbs in our house so bright you had to shut your eyes and some even blew up! Also the fridge, tvs, sky box, radios all went too! The only electrical things to survive were the kettle, emertion water heater and a few other bits. What I would like to know is it seems to be the same type of appliance that has blown is there any way to fix these? Are there internal fuses in these pieces of equiptment I can check, could it be the transformers blown, or rectifiers melted. And ultimatly is it worth trying to fix them. I have a basic knowledge of electrics and no insurance to replace these items what should I do?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2009, 07:11 PM

Unfortunately if this was in America I would have to advise you to dispose of all the appliances that were fried during the storm. I never was able to "fix" any appliance that suffered from current surges. I had to replace a central airconditioner, a VCR, a TV and other assorted appliances after a power surge occurred in my home. I know you have different current over there than we do here, but once an appliance experiences reverse current it is fried and must be disposed of or it will be a fire hazard. Do you carry home insurance? This would cover your replacement of these items if you do. Sorry, I didn't read the last sentence where you said you have no insurance. Then I guess you're out of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Appliance power cord color code [ 1 Answers ]

Flat 3 wire power cord has 1 green wire and two black. But cover of power cords has grooves made around one of the black wires. How to know whick black wire goes to "black" connection and which black wire goes to "white" connection?

Bulbs keep blowing.Is it a power surge? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a ceiling light fitting in my lounge that keeps blowing bulbs. It has five bulbs and has been through eleven sets in eleven months.The building was built in 2004 and no other rooms are affected.:confused:

Fan direction reversed by power surge [ 12 Answers ]

I have a condenser fan on an existing Janitrol ckj36-1b condensing unit. The fan seems to have reversed direction, most likely from a power surge. There was a strong electrical storm last night and the fan is now blowing back down through the condenser, rather than drawing the air through the...

Power surge in kitchen [ 3 Answers ]

I just moved into a home and I am noticing my 6 recessed kitchen lights surge every 10 seconds. Not to drastic by just enough to bother me. I now am also noticing my bathroom lights off the kitchen beginning to surge. Thanks Shawn

TV power surge [ 2 Answers ]

:eek: We had a wiring mishap... and our TV was connected to a 240 volt circuit. The resulting power surge seems to have fried the TV as it will not turn on... The receiver blew smoke out, but the VCR still works... Is there any help for the TV (internal fuse,reset?)? All 3 were connected. Thanks

View more questions Search