Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pcb4golf Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 02:06 PM
    100 amp service vs. 200 amp service
    I currently have a full breaker panel in my home with those small 15 amp breakers. So I really can't do much more with it. What I really would like to do before I upgrade my panel to a larger one is should I upgrade to a 200 amp service or should I stick with my 100 amp service. First of all, what's the difference between the two and what's the benefits to upgrading to 200 amp.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 02:41 PM
    The difference is cost, breaker space and load capacity.

You will likely never again see a 100A service in a new home, except maybe a bare bones tract home.
    To replace a 100A with a 100A is almost always not in the best interest of the homeowner.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2009, 07:33 PM

You'll still be stuck with the 15 A breakers. The wire size dictates the maximum breaker size.

In some panels you can get twin breakers which allow two circuits to share a space. In this case, you must not exceed the number of poles for the panel.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 10, 2009, 03:45 PM

Technically speaking it would be wise of you to have an evaluation of your service and panel done to make sure you are not exceeding the requirement of the 100 Amp Panel.

A 200 Amp Panel has longer bus lines and therefore, more space for breakers.

However, if 100 amp is all you need, then you should consider putting is a sub panel to gain additional breaker space.

If it were me facing this problem, I would first make sure my service in meets my needs. If not I would bump up to the 200 Amp service with a 200 amp panel.

If the service is close to the upper limit, I would still consider moving to the 200 Amp.

If I was mid range or below, I would stay where I am and add a sub panel.

But the real problem here is that you haven't given us any real description of your service as it exists right now.

Feb 10, 2009, 06:02 PM

I have a GE breaker panel. All the correct amperage for the appropriate connection i.e.. Stove 240 volts. etc. What I would really like to do is add more outlets to a room in basement that has yet to be wired. But I don't want to branch off any existing circuits since I feel these are maxed out. Your are correct in saying that I could attach a pony to my panel but I feel for the headache that it'll cause I think I would be better off installing a new panel. I have to check with my local utility to see if I'm able to upgrade to 200 amp service with my current connection from the road.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 10, 2009, 06:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pcb4golf View Post
    I have to check with my local utility to see if I'm able to upgrade to 200 amp service with my current connection from the road.
    If it is an overhead drop that is nothing you have to be concerned with. The power company owns that and will replace it at their discretion.
    If it is underground you may very well own it and be responsible for it.

Feb 11, 2009, 02:58 AM

Overhead drop. Thank you
    LandserElectric Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Feb 10, 2010, 07:34 PM

Get the 200A, its 2010.;) Keep that panel underloaded. I am doing more and more 400A on bigger homes these days. Additional benefits would be it adds to the homes value, most property buyers want a decent sized service. If you already think its maxed out and don't want to add load to any circuit I would definitely do it. Do you feel heat on any breakers? Have you taken some amp readings with a clamp on or anything?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Service entrance cable size for 100 amp and 200 amp service. [ 16 Answers ]

I would like to know what size aluminum sec I would need for 100 or 200 amp service

Change 100AMP service to 200AMP service? [ 2 Answers ]

What are the steps need to change from 100 AMP service to 200AMP service?

Upgrading from 100amp service to 200 amp service [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1994 model double wide home, and would like to change my 100 amp service to 200 amp service. ( I want to go to electric heat) I have a disconnect at the house after the meter and it say 200amp. Is the wiring from there to my breaker box able to handle 200 amp service, and if not how do I...

What is the difference between "Service Pack 2" and "Service Pack 2 v 2096" for Windo [ 1 Answers ]

I M CONFUSING IN WINDOWS SERVICEPACK 2 AND SERVICE PACK 2 V.2096 What is the difference between "Service Pack 2" and "Service Pack 2 v 2096" for Windows XP. Thanks Purendra

Changing from metered service on my shop to service from my house. [ 2 Answers ]

I’ve had the meter and 3 wire service cable removed from my shop. I’ve purchased 90 feet of 100 amp direct burial cable to run from the lower section of my home meter to my shop. Not being an electrician, I’m still trying to install this changeover. The direct burial cable has 4 wires. 2 larger...

View more questions Search