Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TWIGGIRDLER Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2006, 05:40 PM
    Bx Cable Short
    I Have A 1930's Era Home Which Still Has Several Old Bx Cable Circuits. Yesterday The Breaker Tripped On One Of The Circuits. I Had An Electrician Come Out Today To Check It. The Breaker Would Stay On About 2-3 Seconds. The Circuit Handles About 5 Overhead Lights And One Wall Outlet, A Total (per The Electrician) Of 5.5 Amps.

The Electrician Said The Circuit Was Carrying 50 Amps On The 15 Amp Circuit. We Fished Around In The Attic And Found Where The Cable Was Laying On An Old Tin Roof. When He Turned On The Breaker I Noticed A Spark Where The Cable Was Touching The Roof, And The Cable Was Warm There.

I Wrapped The Cable In Electrical Tape And Insured That It Would No Longer Touch The Metal Roof. This Seemed To Fix The Problem, As The Circuit Is Working Now.

I Know Nothing About Electricity. However, I Was Wondering If This Really Fixed The Problem And If The Occupants Are Safe From Shock. It Seems It Would Be Unsafe To Touch The Cable If I Was Grounded.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Jul 6, 2006, 06:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TWIGGIRDLER
    I Have A 1930's Era Home Which Still Has Several Old Bx Cable Circuits. Yesterday The Breaker Tripped On One Of The Circuits. I Had An Electrician Come Out Today To Check It. The Breaker Would Stay On About 2-3 Seconds. The Circuit Handles About 5 Overhead Lights And One Wall Outlet, A Total (per The Electrician) Of 5.5 Amps.

The Electrician Said The Circuit Was Carrying 50 Amps On The 15 Amp Circuit. We Fished Around In The Attic And Found Where The Cable Was Laying On An Old Tin Roof. When He Turned On The Breaker I Noticed A Spark Where The Cable Was Touching The Roof, And The Cable Was Warm There.

I Wrapped The Cable In Electrical Tape And Insured That It Would No Longer Touch The Metal Roof. This Seemed To Fix The Problem, As The Circuit Is Working Now.

I Know Nothing About Electricity. However, I Was Wondering If This Really Fixed The Problem And If The Occupants Are Safe From Shock. It Seems It Would Be Unsafe To Touch The Cable If I Was Grounded.
    That is an extreme fire hazard ( the short could ( and should if the wire was properly instal) occur with the metal shield). Replace the whole wire or at least the section that cause the short

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermostat short [ 2 Answers ]

When replacing my old thermostat with a programmable one, I inadvertently touched the wires together. There was a small blue arc and a burning smell. I didn't turn off the power before installing because of the low voltage - lesson learned. Now there appears to be no power to the thermostat. My...

What is name of this short story [ 2 Answers ]

I read this in college. It's about a family that takes a trip. The car breaks down and 3 men show up and they end up killing the family. I think the grandmother survives. I had to do a research paper on the symbolism on this story. Been trying to find it for a couple months now. Please...

Why are my relationships so short? [ 19 Answers ]

So, I'm 27 and the longest relationship I have ever had is 3 months. I realize the reason I haven't had many girlfriends is because I'm shy initially and also I'm stupidly picky. But recently I have found girls that I really like but it goes a few months and then bam, its over. I can't figure out...

Short! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi pretty, Thanks for the reply even though I asked on skin care!! So,what think you; I'm 1.60m and I weigh 45kg. I live in an area where a little more flesh is considered more appealing, but I fear if I put on more weight I might not be carry it gracefully,since I'm short! My BMI is right for my...

Tall and short? [ 2 Answers ]

Im 15... Im like 5'8-5'9... yet my boyfriends is like 5'6... he's older then me... by like two years... does that look funny to you? I mean, I wouldn't break up with him... just because I'm tall and he is short.. Its just weird. I've never gone out with a guy shorter then me. Does anybody think it...

View more questions Search