Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chafor Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2006, 06:16 PM
    amperage lost from a current transformer to utility's electric meter(?)
    I work for an Electric utility.
    Have noticed that the actual amperage running through a phase does not match the amperage being sent to the meter with it's proper multiplier from the current transformer (CT)?

Example: phase A is using 83 amps. The X1 tap to the meter from the current transformer (400:5 ratio = multiplier of 80) shows 0.8 on my amp check.

If you take the 0.8 and multiply X 83amps you have a metered current of only 64 amps for that phase. Additionally I get a 1.0 amp reading when I check the amps nearer to the CT on the X1 line (real close to 83) and the 0.8 mentioned above happens at the switch gear just under the meter? A "amp loss" if you will.

The result is lost revenue to the utility company. I don't believe the problem lies in the windings of the CT's. I've noticed this on all of my checks. If this were the case and the problem is as prevelent as I think it might be lawsuits to the manufactures might ensue.
    Well...

Does anyone out there know why this ? What could be the cause? And the remedy?

Thx. Chafor

PS - I know no one gives a rats tail if any utility gets "cheated" a bit by perhaps their own ineptitude but I would like to get to the answer on this. Could be a "feather in my cap"!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 19, 2006, 08:27 PM
    Can you restate this?

The X1 tap to the meter from the current transformer (400:5 ratio = multiplier of 80) shows 0.8 on my amp check.

If you take the 0.8 and multiply X 83amps you have a metered current of only 64 amps for that phase. Additionally I get a 1.0 amp reading when I check the amps nearer to the CT on the X1 line (real close to 83) and the 0.8 mentioned above happens at the switch gear just under the meter??

What is the ammeter you are using?

How long is the lead from the CT to the utility meter?

What is the burden on the CT?

What is the make and model of the CT and the utility meter?

Are you saying that measuring the amps of the X1 lead close to the CT is 83, and what is the amps close to meter?
    chafor Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2006, 05:39 PM
    Thx for response.

ammeter made by Fluke Corp in Thailand. Fluke Electronics

length of X1 wire is aprox 3 1/2 feet from CT to the meter.

The electric meter I believe is either made by Slumberge' (sorry if misspelled) or Itron Corp

Explain "burden" on the CT to Me! 400:5 multiplier 80?? It was a "Donut" type - NOT bus bar.

And yes I got consistent .8 in the switch gear box (indicating 64 amps going through meter) while picking up an amp read of 1.0 (one) close/near to the CT indicating 80 amps vs. 83.

I wouldn't have a problem with the 3 amp difference if it was consistent from the CT to the meter. I would have assumed, I believe correctly, that the meter was probably getting the correct measured load and that the problem was with the (calibration of the) ammeter. But the 0.8 was "way off" in my opinion... or is it one should expect theses discrepancies?

Thx.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Force and Electric Field? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can some one explain to me briefly what's the different between electric force and electric field? I am having trouble to make them clear to myself. Thanks you so much. Jack

Remote amperage rating for Ellington WC-100 [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a ceiling fan and have been told by the ceiling fan company to use a remote made by Emerson called an SW-101 wall unit, that is rated at 1.25 amps. Doing a bit of research, I found an Ellington WC-100 that appears to be exactly like the SW-101. Does anyone know if this unit...

Circuit amperage [ 2 Answers ]

If I have a 15 amp circuit does that mean I can only run one 15 amp rate device on that circuit? Or can I run any number of 15 amp or even higher amp devices, with wattage being the criterion for not overloading the circuit?

Power Meter [ 1 Answers ]

I need to find a single phase, 120 V power meter that will read up to 500 W from a 120 V line. Any suggestions?

150 Amp Service Adding more Amperage [ 1 Answers ]

The house we are looking at to buy has a 150 AMp Main breaker box. Can this be replaced with a 200 Amp box to give additional capacity in terms of load? I am planning to build a workshop that will have a 50 AMP sub panel to provide 30 AMP 220 and several 20 AMP 110 circuits

View more questions Search