Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Labor Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2008, 09:24 AM
    Attaching meter socket
    Simple question here. I need to mount a new meter socket to the outside of my cabin. What do you guys usually use to do that? Lag screws? Bolts? What size? While there are plenty of rules governing the installation and mounting of the mast, I can't find anything in the local code that gives any guidance on this issue. Just says that "meter socket shall be fastened securely to building."
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jul 1, 2008, 09:51 AM
    Just says that "meter socket shall be fastened securely to building."
    and that's what it means.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 1, 2008, 12:56 PM
    If you are not an electrician, may I suggest that you get an electrician to do this for you.

In order to change the meter base, you are going to have to pull the meter and disconnect the Power Companies lines. Two of those cable drops will be hot and you will not have any protection. This could get you killed, dead on the spot if you mishandle the cables from the transformer.

Have you asked the Power Company if they can do the work since they own the service delivery and the meter is their property and they mat have rules against you changing the meter out.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2008, 05:47 PM
    If you are allowed to do this, 2" or longer can't hurt, 1/4" or Better, If single level cabin, 3 straps should be fine, Secure well, Long lag bolts are fine, secure like a hurricane(or tornado) may come through.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring 2 Gang Meter Socket w/ 100 & 200 Amp Meters [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, Are you allowed to use a 2 gang 200 amp meter socket to feed (1) 200 AMP panel and (1) 100 AMP panel, or do all meters in same enclosure have to be the same (200 AMP)? If the above is allowed: What size wire would I need from weather head to meter socket? Would I then run...

Convert A15 intermediate socket to A19 standard socket [ 10 Answers ]

I need more light from my Hampton Bay ceiling fan light. It has the new A15 Intermediate base bulb and does not put out enough light. Is there a fluorescent bulb available for the Intermediate base socket? Is there an adapter available for the socket that would allow me to use a Standard size...

400 amp service, 2 200 amp panels, 320 amp meter socket [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, this is my first post here, but I have been reading a lot and have already learned a bunch. I want to thank TK already and hope you reply to this. I am in the process of designing my electrical system for my new home. I have some electrical experience, but am by no means a pro. I am...

Meter Socket and Main Breaker Issues [ 1 Answers ]

I just ordered a new meter socket from the utility company and it is rated for 200 amps. My friend is a certified electrician and he will be doing all the work. He advised me to get an exterior main breaker so we could relocate the interior sub panel approximately 7 foot away from the point of...

320 amp meter socket line wire [ 10 Answers ]

I am installing a new service with two meter panels. One 320 amp meter socket and one 200 amp meter socket. The 320 amp is a 400 amp socket panel with a disconect (two 200 amp breakers). What size of line in from the transformer wire do I need? It's a typical 3 wire, single phase service. Does...

View more questions Search