Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sgaz82 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2006, 09:43 PM
    UK F1- seeking help
    Hi,

I am going to be on OPT soon and had the following Questions:

1) In ths US , as an international student do I pay the same taxes as the nationals do ? And if so am I taxed in the following manner:

Federal Tax
    State Tax
    Local
    Social
    Medicare

I am in Pennsylvania and trying to determine my disposable income after tax if making around 48000-53000 USD?

If possible if some can just give me an idea of the Percentages %s of those taxes with source.

I know UK carries a treaty with the US and I am not sure if there are any exemptions at all from my income. I found the treaty on IRS website. Do I need to give this to my employer?

Will I be responsible for paying all taxes.. will I get some return back. I understand these are tons of questions but if some can reply to the best of their ability. I would apprecaite that!

Thanks,

SGaz82
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 21, 2006, 09:39 PM
    You will pay federal and state income taxes (maybe local; depends on where in Pennsylvania you end up).

You should be exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes.

You can download IRS Pub 17 from www.irs.gov and look on page 262 for the income tax rates. You may also want to review IRS Pub 901 to see to what tax treaty exemption you are entitled.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are you seeking advice [ 1 Answers ]

I am a clairvoyant, empathic reader I also do tarot, scrying, poastlife, automatic writing I have been doing this for over 20yrs I personaly have seen astrol outer body (outer body experience) I have had dreams that came true 4yrs later as well of 4months I even predicted my own daughters...

Seeking Explanation [ 7 Answers ]

I am currently in grade twelve at high school. In grade eleven, I met this girl. We became excellent friends until the summer began, at which point we fell in love. We were "meant for eachother"... and definently still are. I had the greatest summer of my life with this girl. Anyway, school started...

Seeking Legal Advice [ 11 Answers ]

I need some legal advice. Last June I contacted an owner of a domain site and asked if he would be interested in partnering with me. I will build the site and he wouldn't have to do anything. In return he would get a % or revenue. So after 2 months of me working on it, the guy stops returning...

SPONGES... Seeking info. [ 7 Answers ]

What are SPONGES... are they alive, or were they alive? Would appreciate any info. About them. THANKS.

Seeking Help for My Mother and Her Friend [ 1 Answers ]

My mother's friend, I'll call her Betty here, is very bossy and demanding. She is losing her temper, losing all logic, and thus losing her family and friends. A few months ago, during an argument between she and her husband, he told her that he had started seeing someone else. Yes, we all pitied...

View more questions Search