Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kjelgaard Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 07:27 AM
    100 household amps vs 200 amps
    I am living in an "old" house with 100 amps coming in. I am in the process of doing reconstruction and would like to know if I run all new wires and outlets and get rid of dusty broken wires and connection boxes left open to rot---Can I use the same fuses and wiring for 100 as for 200 or do I rewire everything in a new box etc and then switch? I cannot see us going without power for a prolonged period.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Jun 25, 2008, 09:25 AM
    The old 100 box may not have enough spaces in it to hook up all the circuits you want. And if you buy a new larger box sometimes different brands of circuit breakers will only fit a particular brand of box. So it would probably be easier to get a whole new set
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 01:43 PM
    If you are re-wiring that much of the house you'd be crazy to not upgrade to 200A.

Why do you think you will be out of power for very long??
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2008, 02:51 PM
    If Materials and Tools are on hand and prepared Correctly, You should have a Minimum Down Time. Have not run into one that can't be done in a day. If many solid metal conduits
    Enter the Top and Bottom of Panel Is MUCH more of a Job than say Romex.
    All solid from the Top OR Bottom is no so bad.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jun 25, 2008, 07:40 PM
    If a DYI is doing a service upgrade, then it is very likely they will be without power for over a day.

Just my .02 ;)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2008, 08:11 PM
    Well, that's what generator rentals and pizza are for.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Jun 26, 2008, 11:23 AM
    Send the wife and kids to a motel with a pool while you tough it out alone. And if you have all the wires there at the fuse box in a workman like manner and ready to go it's not so bad, a lot easier than trying to squeeze new wires into an existing box.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Standard Household Amps [ 7 Answers ]

How many amps are in a standard household electrical outlet?

50 amps vs 100 amps? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently purchased a new mobile home in Ventura, CA. The home was a "lot model" that was originally delivered from the manufacture and set up on a site, used as a model and then taken down and delivered to where I am now. The Manufacture says that it was built to run on 100 amps - it is 60...

Cost to upgrade from 100 amps to 200 amps and ground [ 4 Answers ]

StanFortyMan has made a lot of sense about my needs in a home with a 100 AMP Service.. I would like to upgrade to 200 amps.. with some ground sockets(or whatever this is called) and put in more sockets... The house is 1300 square feet... does anyone have a guestimate of costs?? Thanks, Annie

Changing from 100 amps to 200 amps [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas water heater (40 gallon tank). I want to change it to an electric tankless water heater. I have read that I need 200 amps in the house to do this, but currently I have only 100 amps. The outside meter is located only about 25 feet away, but the lines are underground. What is...

How many amps ? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4/0 awg al type use 2 600 v xlpe phasea 2/0 neutral?? How many amps will it carry 165 feet and can I put it underground? :confused:

View more questions Search