Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fritzchrist Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2006, 01:09 PM
    Receptacle testers
    When using a standard receptacle tester on a GFI circuit, I get a Hot/Ground Reverse reading.

When I test the same GFI circuit with a GFI Receptacle Tester, I get an Open Neutral reading.

The problem was a loose neutral wire .

Are these normal readings to expect from the two testers?

The insurance company is refusing to cover the Hot/ Ground reverse situation indicated by the standard receptacle tester.
    Any help is certainly appreciated.
    THANKS,
    FRITZ
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2006, 01:18 PM
    Not really sure what your questions is. Using a standard tester in a GFI receptacle/circuit is not correct and cannot trust the readings. Using the correct tester gave a correct reading,an open neutral and that was confirmed by the problem found,an open neutral.

What does the statement "The insurance company is refusing to cover the Hot/ Ground reverse situation indicated by the standard receptacle tester." mean?

Feb 20, 2006, 01:29 PM
    Question is:
    Will the standard (non GFI) receptacle tester indicate a "Hot/Ground Reversal" when the problem on a GFI circuit actually is an "Open Neutral"?

The home warranty insurance co.is saying I have a "hot/neutral" condition due to a faulty installation and is not covered under the warranty.
    The electrician they sent out concluded that I had a "Hot/Neutral Reversal" , based on his testing the GFI circuit with a standard(non GFI) tester.
    Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Fritz
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2006, 01:43 PM
    OK now I see how the "Home Warranty" companies do it.They send a tech that uses the incorrect tester, and stands behind his erroneous report. Sorry I cannot tell you how the wrong tester will work when used improperly, I always use the correct tool for the job.

As I said, using the incorrect tester for the application and type of circuit will produce a report that cannot be trusted, and anyone doing so is suspicious of fraud or is imcompetent.

So where do you go from here? Try to prove the tech was I'm error, maybe on purpose? Rather than focusing on the mechanical problem,I believe the firms you are dealing with need to get a strongly worded letter from your attorney.

Of course, document anything that has happened and what ever was truly found causing the problem, and any loss caused by the problem, or the erronenous report and lack of service from the waranty co.

Who monitors these companies in your state, assuming located in the USA? Can be called consumer protection, insurance board, etc. I amsure there is some agency that polices warranty companies. And I am sure there is an agency that issues electricians licenses that want reports of incompotent contractors.

Feb 20, 2006, 02:59 PM
    Thanks.
    Fritz

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mix match plug and receptacle [ 5 Answers ]

Can I wire a 20 amp, 3 pole, 4 wire grounding locking plug to a 50 amp 2 pole 3 wire receptacle? I would like to use a portable generator in a remote area.

Installing a gfci receptacle [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to install a gfci receptacle in my offfice( replacing the existing regular receptacle) I have two black wires that were wrapped together , two gray wrapped together, one single blue and one green. I followed the directions and think I got all the wires to the right place. The test light...

Receptacle in bathroom vanity fixture [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I was helping out in my sister's house last night (just being a helpful lil' handyman brother :D), and while fixing something in one of the bathrooms, I noticed something very interesting: there is a vanity light above the mirrior that has a single receptactle built into the base of the...

Receptacle wiring [ 3 Answers ]

I want to add a receptacle to a box I have in my pantry that has an existing light switch. I have a three wire load coming in to the box from the circuit breaker. The red is wired to the switch and the blacks and whites are connected with wire nuts. The three wires feed other boxes in my kitchen....

Hot/Ground reverse on GFI receptacle [ 3 Answers ]

My screened porch has a ceiling fan w/light and a 2nd light fixture, both running off an outside GFI receptacle. In short, I ran wire from the GFI receptacle to a double switch box; one switch is wired to the fan fixture, the other switch is wired to the light fixture. All has been working fine for...

View more questions Search