Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shep1964 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 04:20 PM
    No power to outlets/switches
    Hi,
    I have an electrical issue in my kitchen. I have 3 GFI's (one of which operates), 1 standard outlet and 2 switches (one which operates an exhaust vent and one for an overhead fluorescent light and the disposal. I only have current to the one GFI. The breaker is not tripped, nor is it hot to the touch. I've determined the one working outlet is on a circuit with the refrigerator. I have noticed that the two GFI's don't "click" like the one working when you try to re-set them... Please note this is an older home (late 60's).

Were on a very tight budget and any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I am familiar with basic electricity and use of a multi meter.

Very truly,
    Andy Shepard
    [email protected]
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 11, 2008, 06:25 PM
    Andy,

You might want to consider removing your e-mail address.

My immediate reaction is to suggest that you press the reset button on each of the GFCI Outlets. But I can see from your post that you have already done that.

GFCI outlets can exist in a circuit two ways:

1) An outlet protecting only it's single location.
    2) An outlet that protects itself and several downstream loads.

Also, There can be GFCI and AFCI breakers installed on the main panel to protect from there. These devises trip when very small amounts of current cause an imbalance. The GFCI trips, protecting further damage to itself or further downstream.

Now that said, do you have enough expertise to use a voltmeter to verify that there is voltage coming into the "Line" terminals on the outlet? If there is 120 coming into the outlet, then the run from the panel box is probably fine. If there is no voltage, shut the breaker off, remove the Black and White wires from the outlet, place the red lead on the back wire and the black lead on the white wire. Turn the breaker back on. Do you get voltage? (Y/N).

If yes, get another GFCI outlet and swap it for the failing one, after turning the breaker off again. On the new outlet, stick the red probe, into the shorter of the two slots on the outlet and the black into longer slot. Turn the breaker on, Do you get power? (Y?N) If the lower outlet is now hot, reset the remaining outlet and check the lower or "Line" slots in just the same manner as you checked the original failing outlet.

Please let us know what you find.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

One power source, two switches [ 2 Answers ]

If I have one power source coming in, do I just pigtail the black wire to the two swtches and wire nut the white wires together? Also do I pigtail the ground to the switchor just wire them all together?I am running 12-2 wire. And controlling two different light sources. Also on 15amp breaker,...

Breaker shows power but no power to outlets [ 1 Answers ]

I have a breaker that is showing power coming out but all outets and equipment on this circuit are dead how do I find the problem?

Getting power to lights and switches, but they won't come on [ 6 Answers ]

Lost power the other day and flipped the breakers to get them back on. Worked but I lost power in the laundry room shortly after. I replaced the breaker and bought a volt reader and I'm getting power to every breaker. I checked every outlet and even the ones that won't work are getting power to...

A few outlets and light switches not working [ 2 Answers ]

Just recently we lost power on several outlets/lights in a section of the house. It tripped when we tried to plug the vacuum cleaner into one of the outlets. Ever since then the power is not coming back. I have checked the circuit breaker and test for voltage with a DMM (with one side touching...

No power to outlets! [ 2 Answers ]

Just recently noticed that one of the bedrooms outlets and the switches in the adjacent half bath were not getting any power... they worked just fine earlier in the day. The light in the bedroom works fine but the outlets do not. I checked all my breakers traced them and they all seem to do...

View more questions Search