Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sparkys Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 02:49 PM
    Single pole breakers for 240v heater?
    Thanks in advance for any help..

I am trying to set up new 240 v baseboard heating in my attic

My questions is can I put it through 2 different single pole breakers - each for every phase?

Heater = 240v / 1500w
    breakers = 15A

And what can be wrong? (technically - this is not a code question)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2008, 03:00 PM
    No, you need a 2-pole breaker with a bar between them, so if one side trips the other one will too.

To really answer your question: Yes you could, but DON'T. It creates a fire hazzard. You will either end up with 0V or 240 Volts depending on what breakers you chose. The 120 V sides will add or subtract depending on the phase.
    ThomasCKeat Posts: 157, Reputation: 12

Jan 2, 2008, 06:06 PM
    Crazy to try, when one leg trips the other must also or you will always have a hot leg when one trips out and that could cause fires & DEATH.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring single pole thermostat in double pole fixture [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to install a line voltage programmable thermostat into a manual thermostat fixture. The programmable thermostat is Honeywell RLV430. Instruction manual here: http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/b7867367-6c05-4c82-a97c-648044b91564.pdf The...

Difference between one pole and two pole circuit breakers. [ 1 Answers ]

Please explain in detail the difference between one pole and two pole circuit breakers. Thank you.

Double pole or single pole thermostat for baseboard heater [ 2 Answers ]

A more specific question here: My 240v baseboard heater says it can be wired with a single or double pole thermostat. Since 240v is already "dual pole" with two hots, do I want to stick with a double pole thermostat? Are there advantages/disadvantages to each? Thanks.

Trying to change a single pole light switch to a single pole swith with a light below [ 5 Answers ]

I have a kitchen light and a basement light that are together in one electrical box, but are on single switches. I purchased a "single pole switch and pilot light" combination so I could see easily if the basement light is on. In the box there is a black, red and white wire. For the single pole...

Connecting 240v heater to 2 - 1 pole breakers [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 - 15amp tandem breakers - both are 1 pole. I know that normally you would use a 2 pole breaker to create a 240v feed to the heater. However, if I connect my 12-2 wire to the 2 different breakers, I get 240v and my heater works correctly. Is there any problem to doing this rather than...

View more questions Search