Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rjk94117 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2005, 05:08 PM
    Receptacle wiring
    I want to add a receptacle to a box I have in my pantry that has an existing light switch. I have a three wire load coming in to the box from the circuit breaker. The red is wired to the switch and the blacks and whites are connected with wire nuts. The three wires feed other boxes in my kitchen. My problem is how to connect the third white wire to the receptacle with only two screws for the white wires. What's the proper way to wire the three white wires?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2005, 05:23 PM
    One way is to add a short fourth white wire. Use a large enough wire nut to connect all 4 wires, and run the short wire to the receptacle.

If the red and black wire are different circuits with a shared neutral, be sure and shut off both circuits before working on the neutral.
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Dec 2, 2005, 08:48 PM
    If it is 14 wire and the receptacle is fairly new you should be able to just backstab another wire into the small holes in the back of the device. If it is 12 wire then follow Labman's instructions.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2005, 05:47 AM
    I should have mentioned that. It will work even if only one wire is #14. Use the screws for the other 2. Back stab mean pushing the wires into little holes on the back near the screws.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mix match plug and receptacle [ 5 Answers ]

Can I wire a 20 amp, 3 pole, 4 wire grounding locking plug to a 50 amp 2 pole 3 wire receptacle? I would like to use a portable generator in a remote area.

Receptacle testers [ 4 Answers ]

When using a standard receptacle tester on a GFI circuit, I get a Hot/Ground Reverse reading. When I test the same GFI circuit with a GFI Receptacle Tester, I get an Open Neutral reading. The problem was a loose neutral wire . Are these normal readings to expect from the two testers? ...

Installing a gfci receptacle [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to install a gfci receptacle in my offfice( replacing the existing regular receptacle) I have two black wires that were wrapped together , two gray wrapped together, one single blue and one green. I followed the directions and think I got all the wires to the right place. The test light...

Receptacle in bathroom vanity fixture [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I was helping out in my sister's house last night (just being a helpful lil' handyman brother :D), and while fixing something in one of the bathrooms, I noticed something very interesting: there is a vanity light above the mirrior that has a single receptactle built into the base of the...

Hot/Ground reverse on GFI receptacle [ 3 Answers ]

My screened porch has a ceiling fan w/light and a 2nd light fixture, both running off an outside GFI receptacle. In short, I ran wire from the GFI receptacle to a double switch box; one switch is wired to the fan fixture, the other switch is wired to the light fixture. All has been working fine for...

View more questions Search