Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mduits Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Two-wire conduit grounding
    My new furnace has metal box with an electrical plug and switch on the side. Three-wire conduit (with black, white and green wires) runs from that box up to an overhead light with a metal box. An older piece of two-wire conduit (with black and white wires) runs from the light to the breaker box.

The furnace installer took the green ground wire (that came from the furnace conduit) and attached it to a piece of wire, and wrapped that wire around a copper pipe. I assume this was an attempt to ground?

Later another electrician, came in, said that the ground wire running to the copper pipe was unnecessary as the conduit should be grounded. He removed the wire running to the copper pipe and capped the green wire that came from the furnace conduit.

I'm still nervous because one piece of conduit is 3-wire and one is 2-wire. I read on another site that with 2-wire conduit, the metal sheathing asks as a ground.

Is this correct?

Was the 2nd electrician correct that the ground to the copper pipe was unnecessary?

I just want my house to be safe.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2007, 01:32 PM
    The electrician has taken on the responsibility of being sure the wiring is safe.

A ground wire just wrapped around a copper pipe is not a valid ground. Keep in mind that metal conduit is allowed to act as an equipment grounding conductor, and a green wire, while recommended, is not absolutely necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proper wire and conduit size? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have just had a new pole building built. I had a 200 amp service installed. I will be installing 16 fluorescent light units. I will install them on at least 2, possibly 3 circuits. My question is what is the formula for figuring out the proper wire size, and how many of these conductors can I...

UF wire and copper propane line in same conduit [ 1 Answers ]

Is it safe and allowed to run 10/3 UF electric cable and 1/2" copper tubing for propane in the same 2" PVC conduit 18" underground from a house to a garage?

SPA disconnect switch grounding wire requirement [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing a 240V/60A SPA approximately 85 feet from the house service panel. I'm going to run 3 individual #6 conductors (THN or better) from the service panel to the SPA GFI disconnect box via 1 inch PVC conduit. The SPA is about 7 feet from the disconnect box. The disconnect box instructions...

Underground wire in conduit close to water line [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed 3" schedule 40 pvc conduit from the street to a barn for hooking up a 200 meter service. Is there a requirement or code that states you have be a certain distance from water lines? We are about 12" under a water line with the conduit, which will have 3 large wires feeding the...

Pulling wire through conduit [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have 100' of 10/2 UF cable running underground through 3/4" PVC conduit. I need to pull the 10/2 out, and pull in 10/3 UF (or its code equivalent) to replace it. I have 3 questions: 1) Is 10/3 UF cable always produced in a flat configuration, or does some company manufacture a round...

View more questions Search