Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hillman Hydro Jetting Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2007, 04:33 PM
    What is the avg. gas p.s.I. from gas meter on the residentcial side of meter
    What is the avg. gas p.s.I. from gas meter on the residentcial side of meter. I think its 5 lbs. I live in Los Angeles, don't know if it changes from state to state.:eek:
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2007, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillman Hydro Jetting
    what is the avg. gas p.s.i. from gas meter on the residentcial side of meter. I think its 5 lbs. I live in Los Angeles, dont know if it changes from state to state.:eek:
    That depends on a lot of different factors.

Residential NG can be delivered on the consumers side of the meter at low, medium or high pressure ratings, depending on the consumers BTU requirements, pipe sizing and the developed length of the gas piping.

The most common means of residential NG delivery is low pressure, which is about 1 to 1.5 psi.

Medium and high pressure can be considerably higher than that and is usually regulated at a secondary regulator which must be provided with a vent before entering the residence.
    pelle Posts: 96, Reputation: 0

Oct 28, 2007, 11:22 AM
    In nys the ave pressure on the cust side of the meter is 1/4 pound or 7"of water col.. If you look at the average gas appl in your house most will not take much more pressure than that.. Some cust do need up to 5lbs but these are usually large customers with great demands.. I have installed 1/2 lb and full pound deliveries on houses but these are usually for generators or large pool heaters..
    If it is 5lbs in LA I assume that there is a regulator after the meter or indiviual regulators at the appliances...
    The pressure before the utility owned regulator and meter can be from 1/2lb(lowpressure) all the way up to 150lbs in which case there is usually more than 1 regulator before the meter..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eliminate a meter [ 1 Answers ]

In this three story apartment triplex there is three separate meters and three separate 70A disconnect switch (circuit breakers) and from the disconnect power goes to a panel in each apartment. But the building was never zoned for the three apartments. So what the owner wants to do is eliminate...

Meter change out? [ 1 Answers ]

I have just purchased a home built in 1906 and we are going to have the utilities updated. I have plumbed 3 houses including the one I currently live in an plan to do the work on this house as well; however none of them have been this big. I want to make sure that I do not run into problems...

Electrical Meter [ 1 Answers ]

Can a meter that the electric company reads be easily moved or moved at all? If so, is it very costly? Thanks.

Power Meter [ 1 Answers ]

I need to find a single phase, 120 V power meter that will read up to 500 W from a 120 V line. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search