Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DaveCrowell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Service upgrade: Is 200 Amp necessary? Or will 125 Amp work?
    Hi,

I recently bought a 1950s home with 60 Amp service. We are planning the upgrade now and after getting several estimates, it appears that there is a difference of approx. $1200 by the way getting 125 Amp or 200 Amp (it's $3200 vs. $4400, with the local utility company being responsible for almost $1000 of that difference).

I have searched this board, which I have found very helpful, and searched online for hours. I've also talked to four different electricians, all with different opinions. The problem is that I can't seem to get a good definitive answer to if we really should upgrade to 200 Amp or if we'd just be wasting $1200.

Here's what we're dealing with:

- 3 BR, 2 Bath, 2000+ sqft. Of livable space
    - heat & water heater are gas
    - dryer, range, dishwasher are all going to be electric
    - medium-sized central A/C unit (I assume it's electric but don't have possession yet, so can't check - do gas A/Cs exist?)

Possible future upgrades (probably at most two or three out of these four would happen):

- House extension (adding up to 1000 sqft.)
    - Two-car garage to replace current single
    - Using basement as 1BR apartment (adding 2nd range, maybe 2nd dryer)
    - Hot tub (not likely but who knows?)

If anyone can give me some good objective advice, I would really appreciate it. You guys really seem to know your stuff and I would feel confidence that I'm getting an unbiased opinion here.

Thanks a lot in advance for whoever might be able to offer any help.

Cheers,

Dave
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2007, 02:28 PM
    Referring to Article 220 and using the Optional Method AC Larger than Heat, and figuring worst case, including derating for multiple appliances, I arrive at a connected load of 112.5 amps, without the hot tub.

With the tub, the total would be 152 amps.

A 200 amp service minimum is definitely in order.

If any more than what you listed can happen, you will need to consider a 400 amp service.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

400 amp service with 2-200 amp panels & 320 amp socket [ 6 Answers ]

Hi TK. I am running 400 amp service into my new contruction home. The electric compnay is running a single 400 amp line to the meter. I have to split it to the two panels at that point. You had told me once before that I need a 320 amp meter socket and then run 2-200 amp lines to the separate...

200 AMP Service Upgrade [ 4 Answers ]

I am in the process of upgrading my main breaker panel, I was wondering if someone can advised me on some of the thing that I should ensure that the electrician list on the proposal as part of the upgrade. For instance, I see 200 AMP aluminium wire, new#2 copper grounding wire conductor, new#4 or...

200 Amp service upgrade help. [ 15 Answers ]

I am planning on upgrading my existing service from 125 AMP to 200 AMP. This is in a new house (3.5 years old). I am doing this because I am adding a pool and extension that will require a fair amount of power (60-80 AMP's). I also plan on adding some circuits for woodworking, etc. The existing...

200 Amp Service upgrade [ 3 Answers ]

Good afternoon, Here's the scenario: I picked up a house that was in the middle of a remodel. Seeing a new 200 Amp breaker box, I dug around and found the old breaker box was a 100 Amp. The wires entering the house have not been replaced, as in they are too small, 2/0. I went out to the meter...

Home Electric service 200 amp upgrade [ 2 Answers ]

I need to upgrade my current 100 amp service with fuses, to a new 200 amp service Box. What would the total ball park price be including labor, and material. Thanks,

View more questions Search