Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    acpg97 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2007, 01:59 PM
    Wiring Double Switch to 2 lights
    I recently added a flood light to the outside. I used 14/2 wire. I want to wire it to an existing light where the power source is and then to a stacked switch where I can turn off and on both lights. How do I do this?
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2007, 03:37 PM
    If you want both lights to come on and off at the same times, just go to the top side of the light switch and connect the black wire from the new light to a "pigtail" with the existing black wire, then hook the pigtail to the switch, then cut the white wire and hook your new white wire with the others with a wire nut, then hook the ground to the switch by the use of another pigtail. This will provide the energy to both lights at once. I would recommend the use of 12/2w/ground instead of 14/2 though.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2007, 05:26 PM
    An important consideration on wire size is the breaker feeding it. If it is a 20 amp breaker, you must use #12. For a fairly short run off a 15 amp breaker, I see no reason to run #12.
    acpg97 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2007, 10:09 AM
    I really appreaciate your answers to my question. The run is a short run. The problem is twofold. I want to cut each light on separately and I don't have a ground wire at the switch. Both black and white wires are hot because I am running power from an existing light to the switch. I'm just stuck and don't know where to go from there. Can you help me?
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2007, 10:50 AM
    This reminded me of the spot lights that have sensors on them and

Turn on automatically -- I installed one of these with the sensor in the

Middle of the house and placed lights on the corners -- really gave better

Lighting with lights spread apart... Luv having lights on automatically...

If you switch lights separately, the hot wires are switched and neutral

Wires are wire nutted together...

How To Wire a Switch - Switch and Light at End of Circuit

To wire in your second light the neutral ties to other neutral wires

And power is taken from the bottom of the switch to bottom of second

Switch , which feeds power to second light Almost a carbon copy of first
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2007, 11:29 AM
    I don't quite understand what you are wanting to do. There are 2 ways to wire a light and a switch. The simple case is run power to the switch and on to the light connecting each black wire to one of the screws on the switch. If you then run cable from the light to a switch for another light, the second light would only work when the first was on.

Where the light is closer to the power source than the switch, it saves wire to run power to the light, and then a pair of wires to the switch and back. Code now requires the white single in a NM-B (Romex) pair to be marked black when used in such a switch loop. To sort out how your existing light is wired, check both the switch and light junction box. The box that has the second pair of wires is where the feed is. Extending power elsewhere works best from the original feed wire. Wherever the feed is, you can either run it on to the next 2 lights and run switch loops to their switches, or run the feed to where the switches are, and run power from the switches to the lights. Either way is common, workable, and meets code. I have seen some answers here recently suggesting the switch loops are the only way it can be done. Not so, not everybody posting here is reliable. You can trust tkrussell.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

Wiring one switch to operate two lights [ 4 Answers ]

I'm remodelling my bathroom and want to add a light above the vanity that operates off the same existing switch that operates the overhead light. The power current comes from the ceiling fixture to the switch. I added the vanity light along the cable on its way to the switch. However, now...

Converting pull switch lights to wall switch [ 3 Answers ]

I've been struggling finding the answer to this in books and online, it seems as if it should be an easy question and something that gets done all the time. Looking for some help. My basement has several rooms and all lights are wired "hot" with pull switches from each light receptacle. When the...

Wiring one switch for multiple lights [ 2 Answers ]

I understand the wiring for a single switch for a single light but what do I do with multiple lights on the one switch without making the whole circuit run off that switch. There are other outlets that need constant power on the same line as the two lights.

3 lights ran between 2 3-ways, can one of these lights be controlled by a 3rd switch? [ 2 Answers ]

There are 3 lights connected, 2 in one room and the third at the bottom of the stairs. There is a 3-way at the top of the stairs and another in the room with the 2 lights. This guy would like to also be able to switch off just the 3rd light at the bottom of the stairs. I did not dig into this too...

View more questions Search