Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Woelfle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 02:18 PM
    Proper wire and conduit size?
    Hi, I have just had a new pole building built. I had a 200 amp service installed. I will be installing 16 fluorescent light units. I will install them on at least 2, possibly 3 circuits. My question is what is the formula for figuring out the proper wire size, and how many of these conductors can I put in the conduit? I suspect if I use 3 circuits that 3 20 amp breakers will be OK, what size conduit would be required to run all the conductors, I think I am looking at 9 wires (hot nuetral and ground) total. Can I use the flourscent light as a raceway for wires going to another light circuit? The floursecnt lights are 8 feet long and have 2 110 watt 120v bulbs. Thanks for any help.
    Cheers
    Rob
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2007, 07:09 PM
    Most of the cost is Labor, I would use 3/4". Depending on environment or conditions may determine EMT, Rigid conduit, PVC, and hate to say Romex, Could see future needs, exhaust fan, Hoist, AC,? Travellers for switching from multiple locations. Oh, and I would use #12.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2007, 02:53 AM
    There is no one convenient formula for this or any branch circuit installation, due the amount of variables. Sounds like you have a good plan so far.

Six 120 volt circuits in one conduit will need 7 wires, 3 hots, 3 neutrals, and 1 equipment ground.

A fixture needs to be rated and listed as a raceway to allow other branch circuits to pass through. This info will be in the specifications and/or instructions.

PVC conduit and fittings will probably be the easiest to install for a DIY'er.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

UF wire and copper propane line in same conduit [ 1 Answers ]

Is it safe and allowed to run 10/3 UF electric cable and 1/2" copper tubing for propane in the same 2" PVC conduit 18" underground from a house to a garage?

Underground wire in conduit close to water line [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed 3" schedule 40 pvc conduit from the street to a barn for hooking up a 200 meter service. Is there a requirement or code that states you have be a certain distance from water lines? We are about 12" under a water line with the conduit, which will have 3 large wires feeding the...

Pulling wire through conduit [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have 100' of 10/2 UF cable running underground through 3/4" PVC conduit. I need to pull the 10/2 out, and pull in 10/3 UF (or its code equivalent) to replace it. I have 3 questions: 1) Is 10/3 UF cable always produced in a flat configuration, or does some company manufacture a round...

4 wire home service entrance wire size [ 1 Answers ]

Mobile home requires 4 wire electrical service entrance wire. Distance is 160 foot from meter to breaker panel. 220V service. What size wire do I use? Can I use diff. size for neutral and ground?

View more questions Search