Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmemler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2005, 04:37 PM
    Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans w/ light kit
    I have a ceiling fan which recently we heard "pop" rather loudly. There was no smoke or odor, just the "pop". The ceiling fan itself still runs. The light kit though will not turn on. I have already changed out light bulbs that I know work, to no avail. Anyone know if the "box" which is inside is replaceable? There are wires running out of it that are connected to the wires from the fan. Any ideas on where to procure this item?

Thank you,

MMemler
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2005, 02:52 AM
    The light kit is easily replaceable. Just be sure to buy the right size diameter, to be sure it fits your fan correctly. At the likes of Lowe's and Home Depot you'll find several different light kits available for $10-$15

Turn off the power to it and remove it.

Typically you will find a nut at the bottom of it and a couple of screws on the side of it - holding it up against the housing of the fan.

At this point I would separate the wires coming from the ceiling fan and test them to be sure power is coming from them.

If you've got power, then wire the new light kit the same way the old one was - and attach it with the screws.
    doctorholton Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 08:05 PM
    And if the wires coming from the fan are not live? Are a new fan, or using the fan without a light kit the only options? We're in a similar situation and can't find a fan similar to the one we have, which is just right for our son's room. Home Depot will replace it under warranty, but we'd really like to get this one working if we can. Thanks for any help.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 31, 2007, 08:19 PM
    The "box" Is a capacitor,if what I'm thinking, for fan, not light.
    Pop may have been at canopy(ceiling), look at wires, if not there, it is in switch assembly.
    Light wire, from top of Fan, goes through pipe to light kit switch, then to lights.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 31, 2007, 09:57 PM
    Is this a remote fan?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2007, 06:13 AM
    I never seen where a Faulty light necessitates Fan replacement.
    Light kit, and 1 wire through pipe, to ceiling. That is all that is involved here.
    Test light wire at ceiling
    Test at light switch in and out
    Verify Neutral.
    Good luck.
    It sounds like the light wire pinched at ground.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans [ 8 Answers ]

The Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan information has been moved here.

Hampton Bay ceiling fans [ 1 Answers ]

We are installing two Hampton Bay ceiling fans on a cathedral ceiling in a two story great room. For efficiency purposes, do the fans need to be mounted on poles, or can they be installed tight to the ceiling?

Hampton Bay ceiling fans [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan purchased from Home Depot. The fan has a globe lamp just above the four light bulb outlets below the fan blades. My question is what is the best way to change the small light bulbs that have burned out inside the globe lamp? Do I have to take the whole fan down or...

Hampton bay ceiling fans [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know how critical it is to ground a ceiling fan? Is it OK to two wire it from a swag chain? Or will this electrocute someone?

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed two Hampton Bay 60" Industrial Ceiling Fans (Model # 158 987) on the same electrical circuit. Unfortunately, I had installed the circuit before I purchased the fans. I now find that the 4 speed fan switch is not strong enough to properly operate both fans. They spin on the two...

View more questions Search