Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lindky Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2009, 07:41 AM
    Recessed lighting
    I have installed several recessed lights in my basement finishing project all were wired up and running for weeks before I finished the drywall. Now I have one that is dead, I took the center piece out that you screw the bulb into to see if there were any bad connection but there are really none to check. These are IC Cans bought at the box store, hide sight I would now install all remodel cans in case I was to have a failure.
    My question is can I take this apart ( by removing the 4 hex screws) and replace this can with a remodel unit if I have to?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 6, 2009, 08:50 AM

Can you actually get far enough inside to get a meter on the incoming wires? The problem could even be back at the previous light where you ran your wires.

Feb 6, 2009, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Can you actually get far enough inside to get a meter on the incoming wires? The problem could even be back at the previous light where you ran your wires.
    This is the 1st light in the two light run and the other light works or the next light in the series. When you open up the can you have no access to any bare wires or good metering points, except the light bulb socket. So I believe I will have to take this apart in the ceiling and hook up and install a remodel style light.

Feb 6, 2009, 08:59 AM

It won't be easy/pretty but I'd start to demo that fixture and try to avoid as much drywall damage as possible, then install a remodel fixture that will look like your other fixtures. I have to guess that it's a simple but hard to reach wire connect has come undone.

Feb 6, 2009, 09:02 AM
    It won't be easy/pretty but I'd start to demo that fixture and try to avoid as much drywall damage as possible, then install a remodel fixture that will look like your other fixtures. I have to guess that its a simple but hard to reach wire connect has come undone.
    That is my guess also I had these running every day for a month and were OK till I enclosed the ceiling and dies the next day. My luck.
    Thanks for your help.

Feb 6, 2009, 09:06 AM

Could have been that last drywall screw nicked something, who knows. Good luck, this won't be all that bad, just a pain.

Feb 6, 2009, 09:07 AM
    Could have been that last drywall screw nicked something, who knows. Good luck, this won't be all that bad, just a pain.
    You have the pain part right.

Feb 6, 2009, 09:09 AM

Let's just hope you find a good hot/neutral lines once the fixture is out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recessed Lighting [ 8 Answers ]

Need help with Recessed Lighting. The included picture is an electrical diagram I used in wiring up some recessed lighting. The switches used are 600w Dimmer Switches with push on/off feature. The problem is that on the center switch the dimming feature burns out consistently but I am still able...

Recessed lighting [ 1 Answers ]

How can I determine the maximum wattage for a recessed lighting fixture? The fixture has a sticker inside listing wattages of 60, 75, 100 and 150. Does this mean it can handle any of these bulbs?

Recessed lighting [ 9 Answers ]

My living room is on a 15 amp breaker. 1 ceiling fan and 11 outlets. Can I pull power from 1 outlet and install 2 3" recessed lights over my bookshelves? Also if this application is acceptable, can I use romex wire to make the connections?

Recessed Lighting [ 4 Answers ]

I don't have any electrical boxes in my ceilings in any of the rooms in my house. I would like to install recessed lighting in family room, kitchen, and living room. What is ballpark costs to have this installed? ? I would also like to get ceiling fans installed in the 4 bedrooms. What is...

Recessed lighting [ 2 Answers ]

I am renovating the kitchen and would like to know in a kitchen with the dimensions of 14ft by 11ft space how many ceiling lights would be required? Is there a minimum that you should have for that amt of space and how far from the wall should they be and how far apart from each other. Thank you

View more questions Search