Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tc1339 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2011, 05:56 PM
    60 amp wire size
    I want to run a 60 amp panel in my garage off my 100 amp panel in my house. What size copper wire should be used on a 150 ft. run. Buried in plastic conduit? Also, I can only find 60 amp panels with 2 or 4 breakers. Do they make them bigger? I think I will Need six for sure!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 18, 2011, 07:06 PM

What amp breakers do you plan to install? I normally recommend that several be 20 amp for a garage. Is there some reason you do not want to start with a larger panel. Over time I keep adding more and more stuff to my garage so a larger panel may be a better fit for you. I think #6 would be OK for what you describe but TK will stop by and give you better advice. This 60 amp box can support 8 circuits http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stor...%20QO48M60DSGP
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2011, 02:44 AM
    Ballenger is correct, #6 copper wire with THHN/THWN insulation will be fine.

You will need three # 6 for the two live and one neutral, and a #10 green for the equipment ground.

Be sure to install an equipment ground bar in the new panel, and do not connect the neutral to the metal box of the panel.

Keep in mind, all 120 volt receptacles in a garage need to be GFI protected.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2011, 05:40 PM

TK,
    If this was a couple of 240 volt circuits, would you have reduced the Neutral? Or just to be safe and if all fails, And/or, it will reduse Voltage Drop?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2011, 02:54 AM
    I do not consider reducing neutrals for such a small feeder.

Reduce voltage drop?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2011, 05:58 AM

"I do not consider reducing neutrals for such a small feeder."
    That's what I was Looking for.

As far as Voltage drop, I was grasping. It would reduce voltage drop, however slight.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wire size & conduit size for 60 am subpanel 150 from source [ 9 Answers ]

Indiana question: I want to install a 60amp subpanel 150 feet from the main panel. This is all exposed runs both inside and out in a commercial envirenement. What gauge and type of copper wire and what size conduit whould I use. How often should insert a junction box in the run. John

What size wire & conduit? [ 3 Answers ]

What size wire & type/size conduit needed to run connection from 17.5Kw generator to 100A subpanel? Route from outside into crawl space and back inside garage to 'backup' panel?

Can I run a 50 amp subpanel if a 100 amp main if so what size wire [ 1 Answers ]

Can I run a 50 amp subpanel from a 100 amp main and if so what size wire

Wire size wire & circuit breaker do I need for a 15.8 range [ 2 Answers ]

What size circuit breaker & wire size do I need rfor a 15.8 raqnge ?

Sub Panel AMP Size and Supply Wire Size [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to install a sub panel in my garage I was told to run 6/3 Romex to supply the sub panel and have done so. The run is about 65 feet and I am now wondering after reading this site what is the max I can get for this size wire? I plan to supply a compressor (20 amp) and the garden...

View more questions Search