Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Olimpiu Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2010, 08:09 PM
    How to install a new TV jack outlet on the opposite wall
    How to install a new TV outlet on the opposite wall?
    Somebody knows, I am sure
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2010, 08:15 PM

It's not exactly fun. A lot depends on if/where there is access. Attics and basements make it easy.

When you have neither, this can be a problem and will involve drilling some exploratory holes and patching. It might involve a boroscope. Any doorways?

So, attics? Basements?
    Must be behind wall? Doorways?
    Metal studs? Wooded studs?
    Picture?

You can drill holes with a flexible drill bits considerable lengths.

Aug 4, 2010, 08:23 PM

It is an attic, but after I will cut the existing TV wire what I will do?
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2010, 08:35 PM

It usually makes a lot of sense to make all TV wires originate from one point in the house. It would be great if you can do that. That's the right way.

The low voltage plates/TV plates when you remove them, there will be a connector behind the plate attached to the plate. This F-F adapter is available separately. I usually use a right angle fitting at the outlet plate as well.

So, you could disconnect at the back of the TV outlet, use a F-F adapter and then extend the wire where it needs to be.

The "F" connectors come in 3 styles: Crimp, twist on and compression and are available for RG-59 and RG-6. Wiring between walls is always done usig RG-6. Crimp and compression require special tools. Compression connectors are preferred. The crimper is expensive and the connectors are too.

Aug 4, 2010, 08:46 PM

Thank you KISS, I live in KISS-immee, pale coincidence... My TV is HDTV I need a special cable?
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2010, 11:29 PM

Cool.

The cable you should really use is RG-6 QS or Quad Shield. Connectors are different for RG-6 and RG-6 QS.

This company: RG6 Quad Compression F-Type Connector with O-Ring - 20pk - Cables To Go has a 10 pk of the connectors and the crimping tool. It adds up fast. Home depot carries the connectors, crimping tool and probably the cable by the foot.

Here is basic instructions for installing the cable: F-Connectors - How to Install F-Connectors - Coaxial Cable Connectors However, this one uses a crimp and not compression, but still the instructions are similar.

Here is F-connectors - RG6, RG11 & More | ShowMeCables a list of some of the connectors and adapters I was talking about. The right angle and the F-F are there. No compression connectors.

Radio shack should have the right angle, wallplates and F-F couplers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a wall phone jack be replaced with a flush jack [ 3 Answers ]

The wall jack currently has some gray pieces already wired however the wires have disintegrated can I cut this off restrip the wire coming out of the wall and install a regular flush jack. If not how difficult would it be to rewire a wall phone jack?

Wall switch controlling a outlet,want to use outlet to control ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

I Have a wall swich that currently controls a baseboard outlet. The Wall switch has a white,black, ground coming in from the top of the box-- and a white,black,red,ground coming in from the bottom of the box. The two blacks are tied together/two whites tied together... the red goes to the switch...

Bad wall jack [ 1 Answers ]

One wall jack had no dial tone. Installed new jack. Wires were black/yellow/red/green Hook them up to the jack terminal that have same corresponding colors. But still No dial tone. Guess it may be in the line??

I want to know how to rewire the wall jack [ 2 Answers ]

There is no dial tone, the phone is fine. I want to know how to re-wire the wall jack

View more questions Search