Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmacehtown Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2006, 09:30 AM
    How much electricity does a house need?
    How much electricity does it take to power a house with all of the modern conveniences? I am building a rural home and would like to consider alternative power sources. To have AC, heat, a refrigerator, TV, and all of the things we use on a daily basis. What sort of ampage /voltage/wattage does a house require?

I have looked at many sites but none I have found give general requirements needed to figure the amount I might require.

Thanks
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2006, 10:00 AM
    Electric rural
    If you have well, like I do, I have a 200 amp service to cover that, which includes electirc to deattached garage.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2006, 11:15 AM
    Telling you how to do the calculations is not easy to do. If you get back to me with the following information, I can perform the calcs and layout to help you understand if you like, or at least give you the minimum size service that you will need.

I need:
    Total square footage of living space, and does not include open porches, garages, and basement or attic.

A list of all electric appliances , to include any AC, or heat, and the volage and load of each in amperes or wattage.

You are correct to be asking the question, and the answer is much more than guessing or comparing to other homes.
    bmacehtown Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2006, 12:25 PM
    Always be prepared?
    First,

Thanks for the responses. I have obviously not thought it out to this degree yet. I am still planning on the house designs, location on property, etc. I will need to get specific numbers on appliances and electrical devices to ascertain exactly what I will need power wise.
    macka123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 07:19 PM
    Hey guys,

I am a 16 year old school student and was wondering how much electricity the average household would use?
    This house must also be able to contain 4people living in it. Is it possible to work this out?

Thanks heaps
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jul 23, 2008, 07:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by macka123
    hey guys,

i am a 16 year old school student and was wondering how much electricity the average household would use?
    this house must also be able to contain 4people living in it. is it possible to work this out?

thanks heaps
    Macka123,

See what Tk wrote above.

I can tell you this, we aren't installing anything under 200 amps for new construction homes---unless it's a non-service rated panel.

Now, this isn't to say you can't get up to 400 amps for a house. Not to mention I've even seen them higher:eek:
    DoughCookie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2011, 07:35 AM
    How Many things are pluged in your house?
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2011, 07:59 AM
    How many "things are plugged in" a home,

Quote Originally Posted by DoughCookie View Post
    How Many things are pluged in your house?
    Is irrelevant, and not how load calcuations are done.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 29, 2011, 10:58 AM

It's also irrelevant because the question was asked five YEARS ago.
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2011, 12:24 PM
    Stan, apparently the standing policy is to not mention to a poster the thread is old, see:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ds-564242.html
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 04:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Stan, apparently the standing policy is to not mention to a poster the thread is old,...
    Hmmm. I never saw that before. In fact I don't think I just did either. ;)

In this case I don't think all that applies. The new poster did not add anything correct or helpful. He asked a question to someone who has not been back in five years, and apparently has gotten the answers he needed back then. So the new question is completely superfluous.

Also, I did not at all "'yell at' or otherwise chastise a member". I was simply making a point that the new post was useless and only served to clutter an already busy board.
    And I have no problem with someone reporting me for making this point the way I did. I stand by it.
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2011, 04:20 AM
    I hear you,

In fact I don't think I just did either

I don't think there was any reference to you, or me, I think the chatising was from someone else, althou, I have told people, politely I think, not to answer old questions.

Honestly, makes it easier to moderate. Either respond to the new post, as I did, or ignore it, and if there is a bad answer, RIP it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electricity Consumption [ 8 Answers ]

Hi everybody, I was on holidays and surprised to see our electricity bill. My wife told me that mostly our bills are double to the bills of our neighbours and relatives. We are getting bills of double the amount of many of our neighbours and relatives who are using the same number of lights and...

Electricity in aircraft [ 4 Answers ]

Hello: One of the characteristiscs of the electric current used in major aircraft is its frequency: 400+/- 10 Hz. What happens if I connect any device that uses 60 Hz like cellphones battery chargersk? Is this bad for the component?

Problems with electricity... [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have an electricity problem at home. Actually we are shifted to a totally new area and in our block, only we are connected to the transformer. There are no other houses in our block and the area is empty. But even we are the only users of the electricity, we experience power shortage. When...

Disconnecting Electricity [ 1 Answers ]

I am moving a manufactured home... I know that I must hire a licensed electrician to reconnect it to the new locations pedestal but do I need a licensed electrician to disconnect it from the old one after having the utility company shut the power off?

Current electricity [ 1 Answers ]

Why metal conduct electricity rather than a wood?THANK YOU!

View more questions Search