Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    electricalguru's Avatar
    electricalguru Posts: 16, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 3, 2007, 04:32 AM
    Are electrical plans required for remodels or new homes?
    NEC: 215.5 Diagrams of Feeders

    If required by the authority having jurisdiction, a diagram showing feeder details shall be provided prior to the installation of the feeders. Such a diagram shall show the area in square feet of the building or other structure supplied by each feeder, the total calculated load before applying demand factors, the demand factors used, the calculated load after applying demand factors, and the size and type of conductors to be used. How does this rule compare with some of the examples in Annex D in the NEC?

    See 90.8 for Wiring Planning where the word "plans" appears only once in the NEC. There may be some rules throughout the NEC calling for an engineer's stamp or some documentation, however, not for ordinary dwellings.
    tkrussell's Avatar
    tkrussell Posts: 9,657, Reputation: 724
    Uber Member

    Jun 3, 2007, 05:12 AM
    Plans are only required, as Sec 215.5 states, "If Required by the AHJ". This is usually established by the State Legislature and enforced by the State Building Code Enforcement. Local AHJ may ask for all or part of the info on their permit forms.

    The Examples in Annex D show how the calcs are performed as outlined by Article 215 and 220.

    All of the states I am familiar with required stamped drawings for commercial 5000 square and larger. I have come across some cities that require the calcs for resi be shown on the permits.

    Begin researching your state's statutes, and then each city any work is located in.
    Stratmando's Avatar
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

    Jun 3, 2007, 05:46 AM
    Down here, They not only want conduits, wires, sizes, heights etc. On Alarm systems
    They want a drawing, location of detection devices, areas protected.
    These are in the County Building Dept(Not Secure)Some Employees, have been found
    Not competent. I believe it compromises Security. 1 person or group should be responsible, Not the whole building.
    I would comply with AHJ, Electrical drawing can be hand drawn.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing homes [ 1 Answers ]

I have had custody of my older boys 20 and 17 almost 18 for all there lives. WE have joint custody, but I have physical custody. My 17 year old who will be a senior this fall and will be 18 in October is going to live with his dad at the end of June. I am totally okay with this. His dad thinks...

Mortgages for mobile homes? [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: Can anyone tell me if they now of any company that will give mortgage for a mobile home with back credit? Please help

Haunted homes [ 2 Answers ]

Is 14 saxon road haunted?

Abandoned Homes [ 3 Answers ]

I have been watching a home in Gardena, California. It has been abandoned for about 10 years. I called the tax assessor's office and they gave me the name of the owner. So I have that which is a good start. I called the city of Gardena to see if they owned the property and they said no. They...

Pre-fabricated homes [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a pre-fab home last year. Its about 18 years old, and the previous owners took really good care of it. I need to know if there is a website to help with repairs and maintenance. It's a Fleetwood. Any help would be appreciated.

View more questions Search