Burning smell from celing fan old and new.
Asked Oct 7, 2007, 07:19 AM
I had an old ceiling fan that suddenly stopped working while operating and smelled like it was on fire. I even called the fire dept. and they came out and said it was just the fan motor burning up and to keep the electricity off to the room until the fan was replaced. I purchased and installed a new fan according to directions and after about five minutes of it being on I had the same burning smell- though not as strong- I quickly turned it off. Would this be a new fan break in period or does it mean faulty wiring with the house?