I have a 5 gang metal switch box with 5 switches. I want to eliminate one of the switches so I have only 4 switches. I don't want to use a blank to fill the hole with no switch. I want to use a switch plate for 4 switches. Can I cover the hole with a metal plate and mud over it so it looks like a 4 gang switch box?

Thank you in advance