Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deedee06 Posts: 47, Reputation: 6

May 30, 2007, 12:07 PM
    What is he thinking?
    I have this guy friend who I have known for five years... we are best friends, share everything with each other (no secrets), enjoy each others company more than anything else... but we only really do stuff alone together... whenever I invite him out with my friends he says that he is too shy and that it will be awkward... all the while I'm saying "hey, im shy too, and you will love these people, they are nice and will accept you instantly"... still doesn't want to go... is he really just shy or do you think that there is another thing going on here?
    emopunk7 Posts: 1,052, Reputation: 161
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Lol... you've known him for 5 years... You should know. But as close as an opinion from someone who doesn't know him and has never had a friend like that, I'd say that he is embarrassed of you or that he really is shy... Any other answer, I think you should ask him... If he goes out in public with you then I don't see what the big deal is. This just sounds weird. Maybe you are cool or maybe he feels other people there like you or maybe he wants to think that he is your only friend. I have no idea... Just trying to help with a few ideas.
    UnwantedHero Posts: 99, Reputation: 8

May 30, 2007, 12:42 PM
    How long has the not seeing you in public thing been going on for?If only a short time then there's a possibility that he mite like you more then a friend.I was in a similar situation once:This chick I was very close friends with never wanted to hang out in public either with me,at first I thought nothing of it until it seemed to be more frequent,then she invited me to the movies just as friends and halfway though the movie she kissed me and said that she liked me more then a friend for ages,and that she hated going out in groups or public with me because I seemed to get a lot of female attention,and yea that's my gov of 3 years now but yea just because he don't want to hang out with you while other people are watching doesn't mean that he is imbarrased by you it could mean other possibilities

May 30, 2007, 08:42 PM
    It's not that he won't go out in public with me... we go everywhere together but just me and him... and I really don't think it's the embarrassment thing because he tells me that I'm pretty and complements me when I go all out and dress up... I've changed a bit since college (like my hair and my clothes) and he has mentioned that he has noticed it and that he think I look good... it has really always been just a me and him thing...

I don't think he wants to think that he is my only friend... I don't see there being a point to that and if it was to feel better about himself not having many friends that makes no since because he has lots of friends... lots of friends that are girls...

But I did mention losing my virginity and he was very disappointed in me (im not exactly sure the exact reason, but something like he couldn't stand how I changed from being a good girl to well... you know)... and when I mentioned that there was a guy I was talking to he gets kind of defensive and almost like he is jealous...
    incognito Posts: 92, Reputation: 24

May 30, 2007, 09:00 PM
    He might not feel comfortable spending quality time with you AND other people.
    He might just want to be with you and you alone.
    Well, you said it yourself, he gets jealous when you talk about liking other guys. He has deeper feelings than he would admit to. Now you are in a whole new realm of relationship quandary.
    He might want something more than friendship and you sound like you don't from him, just be more aware and careful of the possibility of his stronger feelings for you. You don't want to lose a good 5 year friendship.
    rol Posts: 804, Reputation: 162

May 31, 2007, 05:48 AM
    <<whenever I invite him out with my friends he says that he is too shy and that it will be awkward... all the while I'm saying "hey, im shy too, and you will love these people, they are nice and will accept you instantly"... still doesn't want to go... is he really just shy or do you think that there is another thing going on here?
    >>

When he says its awkward perhaps he means he does not want to as they might think he is your boyfriend. That's the only reason I can see. I would feel the same if I was in his situation. Are the friends all female or mixed?
    rol Posts: 804, Reputation: 162

May 31, 2007, 05:50 AM
    And why don't you just ask him directly why he does not want to meet them?

May 31, 2007, 07:52 AM
    I have asked him directly and he says that he is shy and doesn't want to be in a crowd of people he doesn't know...

The people are all mixed... my brother and his girlfriend and their friends... they are just a year older... and even I don't know all of them but it is still a great time
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 31, 2007, 09:04 AM
    I have asked him directly and he says that he is shy and doesn't want to be in a crowd of people he doesn't know...
    He could be telling the truth, and that's all to it.
    emopunk7 Posts: 1,052, Reputation: 161
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 09:16 AM
    T-Man is right... There's no more to it. You have your answer. Just have to accept it now. Good luck... Maybe in time he will hang out.

May 31, 2007, 12:11 PM
    I can't really accept that though because because he's like the popular guy with tons of friends...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is she thinking? [ 4 Answers ]

My girlfriend of three months dumped me by way of text message a few days ago. She said that she needed to grow spiritually and also get her weight and self-esteem under control. She is 21 and I am 20. I felt that she was very cold about the break-up. She is usaually very emotional about...

What is he really thinking? [ 1 Answers ]

There is this guy I always like and he always had a girlfriend. I work with his mother and recently he came into the office and subtly dropped the hint that him and his girlfriend recently broke up. A week later he called me to ask if I was going out, we met up and were talking and hang out for...

Why am I thinking of this? [ 4 Answers ]

Hey, Adadfadf

Why am I thinking of her... [ 14 Answers ]

I recently (last few days) have been thinking a lot about a girl (woman now) I use to work with. We never dated and I have no idea if she liked me or was even interested. I highly doubt she was. I did ask her out to dinner, she accepted, but later declined for no reason. I found out weeks later...

Just thinking [ 4 Answers ]

My son is developmentally delayed. Since he got into Junior High, he has been getting into trouble. Mostly petty things. I'm considering home schooling him. I don't think he was ready for JH academically or emotionally. My questions have to do with how do I assess for myself where to start his...

View more questions Search