Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peanutbudder Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2005, 12:48 PM
    Itchy little dog
    I have a 4 year old male daschund who is the itchiest little critter I've ever met. He seems to have a hotspot on is neck: any slight touch sends him off thumping. I often see him dragging his neck across the rug or furniture when no one is able to pet or scratch him. It then went from there. Now, just about anywhere on his 17 lb. body is an itch button.

I've inspected his hot spots; there is no redness, peeling, blisters or marks of any kind. Not even dandruff! I've tried all sort of expensive doggie shampoos and even Selsun Blue (recommended by the vet) But nothing seems to help my fleabag.

What I want to know is if it is safe to use a Benadryl cream on his skin, or even Benadryl tablet style. I have a feeling this might be an allergy but I don't want to do anything that could make him sick. I appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.

Thanks,

Sarah and her little dog Buddy
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2005, 06:08 PM
    I would cut out all the baths. Give him a good brushing every day with a bristle brush. That should control odor and also reduce shedding. If you must bathe him, rinse, rinse, rinse, and maybe use a conditioner.

Make sure almost all of his calories come from a commercial dog chow. Most of them contain everything needed to keep a dog's skin and coat in good shape. Especially with the lower cost ones, adding a teaspoon a day of ordinary liquid cooking oil may help.

If he has allergies, the vet can do blood tests and maybe solve the problem. Unfortunately that is expensive. You can go with the Benadryl. A couple of capsules shouldn't be too much for a standard dachshund. Only one for a mini. Most dogs would lick off a cream, and I am not sure that would be safe.

There are too many good flea remedies to let them plague him. You can try some of the over the counter stuff, the creams you put down their back. I didn't like the mess they made of my Aster's coat. I used Revolution last summer and plan to again this year. Aster is 11, and developed flea allergies before the good stuff was in common use. Advantage, Frontline, Program, etc. pick one and spare him fleas. You could try the new 6 month shots.
    meganl1984 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2005, 02:05 PM
    More Info.
    My mother is a dog groomer and I used to assist her in the summer time. We used to see that problem a lot and if it wasn't a hot spot then it was allergies. Check the main ingredients of the food you buy, you can usually figure out what would be causing the itchy skin. All of our dogs eat the brand Eagle Pack which has done wonders for their health! I don't recommend putting oil in the food, that might cause diarrhea. I have heard of people giving their dogs benadryl to soothe the itching, but this is a temporary solution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tiny pin sized red itchy dots [ 17 Answers ]

I have about 5 or so of this tiny pin sized red dots that itch more than anything I've ever experienced. I found if I leave them alone they'll dry up in about a week or so. But if I dare scratch them they spread into a rash. Any ideas?

Itchy bum and licking paws [ 5 Answers ]

Kyra is a 2yr old staffy,female. She has ben licking her paws and scratching her backside on the carpet for sometime. Have taken her to vet and this stopped for while but then pessisted again. He came us some cream for her paws and bum. Not sure what else to do?? Cheers

Itchy scalp [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have noticed that my scalp itches a lot, particularly when I stay late into the night. Any idea why this happens? Is this a known condition or will it lead to a new discovery? ;-D Thank you.

Itchy, red, swelling in upper thighs? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 48 year old male and have experienced intermittant red, itchy, swelling areas in my upper thighs. It feels like an accumulation of fluid, not a skin problem. The effected region feels warm to the touch and usually dissipates in 24 - 48 hours. I was diagnosed with microscopic blood in my...

Beagle Itchy Back [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old Male Beagle. He has allergies. He had anal gland removal surgery about a year ago. He is still scratching his backside. He rubs it up against chairs and moans. This was one of the reasons we had the surgery, he would always do this. The doctor says that the anal sacs are...

View more questions Search