Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shelley Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2005, 12:22 PM
    Leash training
    Does anyone know at what age to begin leash training with a puppy... I actually started my 12 week Chihuahua in the kitchen and rewarding him when he walks with the leash. When I get him outside he's OK for about 5 minutes and then all the sudden he begins to tug and cry so I immediately take the leash off. It is probably strange for him because he follows me everywhere WITHOUT the leash. How do I go about this leash training.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2005, 02:35 PM
    I start training my puppies to heel when I walk out of the kennel with them at 7 weeks. I really don't push them. If he tires of it in 5 minutes, it may be just a well to go on to something else.

Do not make the common mistake of not taking him seriously because he is a Chihuahua. They take themselves very seriously. The dogs see all the
    People and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in
    The pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members
    Outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by
    Reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class
    Or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with
    A treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/. Start obedience training now. Keep the sessions short, only a few repetitions each session.
    sarah_uk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2005, 02:31 AM
    Hi, I had the same problem with my chihuahua, I found the best thing was buying a small harness, I don't think he doesn't want to walk but the collar is pulling on his neck.

I would reccoment buying a harness as my chihuahua walks great now !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I train my dog to walk on a leash? [ 7 Answers ]

I hope someone can help me. I am a new golden retriever owner. He is 18 weeks old. I have never owned a dog that was leash trained. I want to be able to walk my golden on his leash, but he won't budge! Any help would be appreciated.

Dog won't walk with me on leash [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a 4 month old puppy. She stubbornly sits and won't budge when I try to take her on walks. Anyone know how I can get her to stop doing it and l walk with me?

Puppy won't walk on a leash [ 1 Answers ]

How do you get a puppy to walk on a leash. He is very scared of it. I have attached it to his collar and let him just walk around with it dragging behind but that hasn't helped his "fear" of the leash. He just won't budge. I have tried to give him treats also to get him to walk. STUBBORN! He...

Puppy doesn' walk on leash! [ 19 Answers ]

I just got an 8week old Great Dane puppy, and I have been taking her out on a regular basis to try to get used to her leash, and she won't walk. She just sits there and won't budge! I have tried treats and encouragement, but she still won't get up or walk. I don't know what to do about it.

Sheltie won't walk on a leash [ 2 Answers ]

My sheltie just turned two years old and we cannot get him to walk on a leash. We tried everything, halter, letting him sit there for a couple hours, food, nothing will get him to budge. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search