Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Apr 18, 2007, 03:25 PM
    Dog snapped over bone
    My dog just snapped at my daughter because he was chewing on his bone and she went to pet him and he snapped at her biting down on her nail. My daughter's fine just a little startled, and I'm angry as hell. WHY! Did he snap at her? The first thing I did was removed the bone and he's not getting it back! And than I put him outside because I'm fuming!
    This is the second time he's done this. He snapped at me once when He found a steak bone in the garbage and I tried removing it from him, but I thought I've corrected this from him, any suggestions how to correct this. He doesn't snap when he's eating his kibbles, only when he has a treat/bone.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2007, 04:40 PM
    I think I have given you this link before along with pointing out the additional page on dogs and children, Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position

Putting the dog out until you calm down was a good idea. This is a serious problem you must solve. You must control yourself to control the dog. You need to be firm and calm, not angry. Practice the rules from that site all day, every day. He must accept you and your daughter as higher ranking.

If he isn't careful, the new, kinder, gentler Labman is going to revert to some of his older advice.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2007, 05:33 PM
    He sounds food aggressive... I was told by our obedience trainer a few years back that you are to act like the food, or bone is yours and then give the "scraps" to the dog once you are done.. that way he learns you are the boss... it all goes along with Labman's alpha dog stuff... the alpha dog eats first... the rest get whatever is left.
    misspriss1_99 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2007, 07:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessyfay
    My dog just snapped at my daughter because he was chewing on his bone and she went to pet him and he snapped at her biting down on her nail. My daughter's fine just a little startled, and I'm angry as hell. WHY! did he snap at her? The first thing I did was removed the bone and he's not getting it back! and than I put him outside because I'm fuming!
    This is the second time he's done this. He snapped at me once when He found a steak bone in the garbage and I tried removing it from him, but I thought I've corrected this from him, any suggestions how to correct this. He doesn't snap when he's eating his kibbles, only when he has a treat/bone.
    Why don't you just put him down? That was your only advise for me...
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Apr 19, 2007, 09:47 AM

Here's a pic of my dog sleeping in his bed,
    I've got some helpful hints from the link you posted labman, thanks.
    I think I'm going to let my daughter from now on be in charge of feeding him. That way if he wants to eat, he has to respect her as a dominant one and obey her. I also like the one where you never let them go through the doorway first, I'm doing that now too.
    Good tips !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bone dry [ 3 Answers ]

Tonight my boyfriend and I were having sex (he got me off before we did it so I would be lubed enough) and everything was going fine until I started to feel a burning/friction sensation. I then realized I was bone dry. I have no idea why this happened. I don't see how it could all just go away....

Bone Loss [ 1 Answers ]

I Have Between 70 & 90% Bone Loss. I Was Told That Anything Over 50% Can't Be Saved, Resulting In The Removal Of All Teeth. Is This True?

Pipe snapped replacing bathroom sink [ 3 Answers ]

My cold water pipe snapped behind the shut off valve on the threads inside the wall. I do not know how to weld properly and the main water supply for the whole house is shut off. What do I do? Is it possible to bypass just one bathroom sink and allow water through out the rest of the house?

My dog snapped at my friend today! What do I do? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi guys, My husband and I adopted a sweet Husky/German Shepherd mix from the SPCA about a year and a half ago. We know nothing about her background, except that she was housetrained and knew how to sit and shake. She also heeled like a sled dog, dragging me down the road for a while! Most...

Tried to remove strainer, screws snapped [ 2 Answers ]

I tried to remove the strainer in our stall shower today to get in there and clean out the drain; the house is 50 years old (but new to us) and I don't think the strainer had been removed in a long time (if ever). It's about 3" in diameter, held in by two screws opposite one another. The screws...

View more questions Search