Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dnieves0613 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2007, 08:44 PM
    Dog won't drink water
    My dog is 4 months old and he lost his first baby teeth last week and will only eat soft food, which is understandable, but now for the last 3 days he will not drink water. I had to start adding water to his food and make it like a gravy because he refuses the water completely. I can't afford to go to a vet, does anyone have any suggestions. He is playing and eating soft food, having bowel movements and even urinating a lot, but he is not drinking. Please help.

Thanks
    Debbie
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Apr 6, 2007, 09:50 PM
    Try ice cubes. It's probably not enough to hydrate him, but if he'll eat them it will help! Labman and Ruby will hopefully have some other suggestions when they see this.

Apr 6, 2007, 10:00 PM
    Okay, I keep thinking about your pup. 3 days is a long time, he must be dehydrated! Maybe you can tempt him with some chicken broth, use a low sodium. If he goes for it you can start to dilute it with water. I have also heard pedialite is safe for dogs, and some really like it. They even make popsicles. Please update so we know how he is doing.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2007, 03:35 AM
    I am afraid you must find the money for a vet visit. Not drinking for 3 days is a serious problem.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Apr 7, 2007, 01:05 PM
    Canned food has a large quantity of water in it. Take that away, as your puppy should only be eating dry puppy chow. Losing baby teeth is not THAT painful and canned food should only be used if you have to give medication (pills) or as a treat. I agree you may to call the vet and talk to them about it just to be sure. If he's acting normal, playful, eating the canned food with gusto, regular BMs and urine, hopefully he's sneaky and drinking when you don't know it in addition to the water in the canned food! Check with your vet.
    dnieves0613 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2007, 07:19 PM
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for your response. I did check with the vet and they were the ones that told me to try canned food for a couple of days. I checked and he has three missing teeth. Today at work I had the good fortune to assist a vet and she told me how to check for dehydration and told me to use chicken or beef broth and dilute with water, I did this and browny drank it all up. My dog is not dehydrated which means my sneeky dog has been getting water somewhere in the yard, possibly a sprinkler and trying to scare me half to death. I am going to start tomorrow getting this little brat back on the dry dog food and giving a very little amount of broth mixed with water until he's back on solid water and dry dog food.

Thank you all for your responses, they were all very helpful

Apr 7, 2007, 07:29 PM
    Great news! Thanks for the update. :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2007, 07:45 PM
    For help on getting the dog back on dry food, see the section of the sticky ''My dog won't eat'' at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171
    conchita Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2009, 05:03 PM
    The person who said "puppies should eat kibble" where do you get your information? Particularly if the dog is not drinking WRONG. And canned is generally much better for your dog.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 3, 2009, 02:29 AM

I hope their dog has drank water in the past 2 years or we would have a problem.

Check the dates please :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog won't eat or drink anything, what should I do. [ 5 Answers ]

His feces has no blood in it, and he hasn't threw up.

Injured Dog won't Drink Water [ 5 Answers ]

Our 2 year old Jack Russell was hit by a car 2 days ago. We've taken him to a vet who prescribed pain meds and bed rest/TLC. He stopped drinking water today and has not urinated since yesterday. I don't want him to become dehydrated - should I be worried? P.S. It hurts for him to go to the...

My dog won't drink his water [ 1 Answers ]

I have a toy poodle that's 6yrs old, he was throwing up , he would drink his water but he couldn't keep it down. Took him to his vet they gave him meds, he's back eating his food but I can't get him to drink on his own, been giving him water with a eye dropper lookig thing.His vet is out of town,...

Dog won't drink when alone [ 2 Answers ]

My dog will not drink water when he is home alone. Recently this has been causing issues, I believe, with heat/dehydration. He has twice collapsed after I get home from work. I have have started giving him a bowl of gatorade before leaving for work so that he has SOME fluids in his system. The...

Dog won't drink water [ 9 Answers ]

Yesterday I found a stray dog in the street. He didn't have a collar. My mom and I walked him over to the nearby vet and she came out and looked him over. She said he was about 6 years old and her and I both agreed he seems to look like a shepherd collie mix. He's just a sweet heart, but the...

View more questions Search