Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binki1961 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2007, 11:10 AM
    Desperate my dog has kidney failure she loves food but has not eaten for 14 days
    Phoebe our dog who is 8 years old English Cocker Spaniel suddenly become poorly, our vet has tried everything, she has been on IV fluids to flush out toxins out but she will still will not eat she she's food and runs away terrible to see as she loves food, she is still wagging her tail and showing interest in us we can't believe how she is still getting around still wants to go for a walk and even play with her brother, tried every food possible I can think of even baby food. Our vet said he will have to put her to sleep as she can not last without food. Our vet suggested he wants to put her to sleep at our home because of our other dog, he said it would help him to understand to stop him searching for her, fro to day I have started to force feed her with warm baby food in a syringe every two hours I just could not watch her starve to death. I don't know if this will help her but I had to do something! Do we carry on like this or do we put her while she is happy or do we carry on force feeding her we do not want her to start with seizures this the worst decision we have ever had to make, we love her so much but when is the right time or will we know, can anyone help please!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2007, 11:30 AM
    This is no time to worry about the long term need for a complete and balanced diet. This is from the ''My dog won't eat'' sticky. ''If it still isn't eating after a few days and only after a vet check, it is time to open up the refrigerator and tempt it with something better, cheese, cooked chicken, cat food, cut up hot dogs, etc.'' Yours is not the usual case where rich food is a mistake. I hope you find something she will eat. Strong smelling stuff may be more tempting than the baby food. Let us know how she does.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2007, 02:52 PM
    Binki, your Phoebe is such a beautiful dog. I am so sorry that she is going through this and that you are suffering along with her. I agree with labman to try to get her to eat whatever you can. Not knowing the cause of the kidney shutdown, if it is something that is reversible, and not knowing if she is in any pain, I am at a complete loss here to suggest anything else except possibly seek out another vet, only if you feel that yours isn't doing every he/she can to help Phoebe. Again, I am so sorry for what you are going through.
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Apr 2, 2007, 10:33 AM
    Try strong freshly sliced sandwich meat from the deli, or liverworse, my animals cannot resist liverworse or sardines, I am sorry to hear about her condition. I wish you and her the best of luck.

If she is drinking still, I would give her homemade chicken broth or beef broth that way she get's some nourishment

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kidney failure [ 7 Answers ]

Please help! My dog has been diagnosed with kidney failure. She will not eat and rarely drink or go to the bathroom. She just lays around, coughs, and vomits flem. The doctor says we need to put her down. The doctor had given her some medicine and vitamins. I am wondering if there is ANYTHING...

My Dog Hasn't Eaten for 7 days! [ 3 Answers ]

My 3 year old dalmatian hasn't eaten for 7 days! I am so worried about her and terrified she will die. Last Friday was the first day she ate nothing. Digit (my Dalmatian) has urinary crystals, which is something a lot of dalmatians have, and was put on Hills Diet Plan Canine UD, tinned food, when...

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

Wet dog food and dry dog food [ 5 Answers ]

Someone told me that I should be giving a balance of wet dog food and dry dog food each week and not just dry dog food all the time. He told me that too much dry food can cause constipation. Is this true? Also, which brands are considered low grade dog food?

14 year old Staffie, not eaten in 5 days [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in the UK and my staffie, (a 14 year old staffordshire bull terrier weighing anout 23kg), has a heart murmur, but recently he started coughing, it turned out to be fluid in his lungs caused by the heart problem. I got some FORTEKOR, and some FRUSEMIDE from the vet, and the coughing...

View more questions Search