Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rn10129 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 02:22 PM
    Wet dog food
    With the recent scare w/ wet dog food, it prompted me to checkout more closely what my dogs were eating. I know that with dry dog food the crude protein should be around 30% and fat should be around 18%. The main ingredient she be ______meal. When I look at the wet foods I see a lower protein and fat content. I was wondering what numbers are good for a wet food? Any other info on wet food would be appreciated.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2007, 05:41 PM
    That 30% crude protein sounds high. I like to look more at the dogs that are eating the food, than the ingredients. I recently did some looking in response to a question on another site. The asker was concerned the relatively expensive chow he was feeding was only 19% crude protein. I suspect that if the protein is high enough quality, the chow needs less. Such a chow may have more carbohydrates.

I have the benefit of having seen thousands of healthy young dogs eating the same Pro Plan as I feed. Having seen them, I don't need to look at the ingredients.

Dry food is actually better for dogs, giving the teeth and jaws the work they need. At least it would if my Labs actually chewed it rather than inhaling it.

I wouldn't be concerned with the wheat gluten causing the problem in this case. I forget if the problem with Diamond not long ago was any one ingredient. The next problem could be bad barley.

Most dogs can be trained to eat dry food. You can find a cure for picky dogs in the sticky ''My dog won't eat'', https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why is my dog inhailing his food [ 4 Answers ]

"Chip" is my 2.5 year old Lhasa Apso. He has a almost 2y old brother named "Dale". Dale doesn't eat chips food. I don't think they have really established who is alfa yet. I see traits in both of them. They are also buddies. They play well together. They have been together for 1.5 years. So why...

My dog is off her food [ 1 Answers ]

My dog has been off her food for two days

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

Wet dog food and dry dog food [ 5 Answers ]

Someone told me that I should be giving a balance of wet dog food and dry dog food each week and not just dry dog food all the time. He told me that too much dry food can cause constipation. Is this true? Also, which brands are considered low grade dog food?

Dog Food Question [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone ever heard of Flint River Ranch dog food? It was recommended to me by the lady I rescued my Doxie pups from. She's a distributor so that makes me wonder if perhaps it would be better to get a vet recommended food for 7 month old pups as I don't want to overpay but yet get good quality...

View more questions Search