Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nadine911 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 07:54 PM
    Socializing a Maltese
    I just bought a 1 year old Maltese male. He is very shy and skiddish. How do I train him to come to me? He doesn't let me out of his sight but I have to catch him instead of him following my command.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Overcoming early socialization problems may be tough. Some things not done right in the first place are very hard to correct. Make free use of treats. If he will let you, cuddle him rubbing his butt, belly, ears, etc. Keep your voice low and calm. Do not make eye contact. He may soften up in time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Maltese tear stains [ 7 Answers ]

Hi Does anyone have any suggestions for removing the red tear stains on a maltese? I have tried a product called Crystal Eye by Four Paws but have not had any success. Any suggestions or home remedies?

Crate training adult maltese [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old female maltese. She has slept in bed with me now for 4 years and has never been crated at all including night time. I am now in a position where I can't have her sleep in bed with me. I purchased a crate for her that is pleanty big for her size, she is about 5 lbs. I've put...

Maltese that cannot be housebroken [ 1 Answers ]

My son and family received an adorable and very smart little Maltese puppy about 8 months ago. He was about 2 months old then and they only had him about 6 months before giving him to my sons older children and ex-wife due to they just could not get him housebroken. Now after about 3 months my...

Socializing a search dog [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 1/2 year old Border Collie who does agility and is starting in Search and Rescue. She is great with other dogs, and loves kids. Unfortunately she is quite wary of strangers and I need to solve that in order for her to certifiy in wilderness Search and Rescue. My question is what is the...

Socializing at an Older Ager [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, we have a 4 year old GSD the we adopted almost a year ago. He is the most wonderful dog I've ever had the fortune to be a part of my family. He is excellent with myself, my husband and all 5 of my kids. He has bonded the most with myself and my oldest son. He loves his walks and playing catch...

View more questions Search