Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Mar 10, 2007, 06:38 PM
    Burrs in dog fur
    HELP!! My dogs both have burrs in their fur and I cannot easily get them out and I don't want to pull their fur if it can be helped. Any suggestions? Border collie and a border collie husky cross. The husky cross got the worst of it.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2007, 08:42 PM
    If they are those marble sized things, you may have to cut the fur around them.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2007, 11:08 PM
    The burs you cannot get out by a gentle pull, you will need to cut out. If the bur is buried deep enough, see your Vet.

There is a home remedy - more a preventive for burs. Give your dog a bath BEFORE going outside, condition the dog but DO NOT RINSE the conditioner out. Your dogs fur will be a bit greay looking and you will want to put a towel one the car seat, but by leaving the condition in, the burs will come out 10 times easier then if the conditioner was not in.

Good luck to you and your dogs.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2007, 11:42 PM
    You can try a little vegetable oil and/or detangler for kids (No More Tangles). I have a bernese mountain dog and live on a farm. He comes in with burrs frequently if he's been out near the barn or in the fields. I pull as much as I can with my fingers, then I use a comb and start at the ends of the fur, gradually moving the comb closer and closer to his skin. Works like a charm.

Good luck!

Didi
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Mar 14, 2007, 05:08 PM
    Thanks everyone. The border collie, Hank, took care of his own burrs while I was working on the husky cross (Riggs). Hank chewed them out lol. Riggs had to sit patiently while I slowly worked them out of his hair. I didn't let the burrs sit because I know that they can be dangerous to the animal and uncomfortable for them (and me because they sleep in my bed). I did something similar to what Grammadidi suggested but next time I'll try the veggie oil. We are taking them out again this weekend so I'll try it out then.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hope to help dog cope with loss of second dog? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I live in St. Louis MO and have had 2 dogs, Brandie and Alix, for 11 years. I brought them home about 1 week apart from each other, so they have been together for 11 years. They were very close. Alix was very close to Brandie. She would only go outside if Brandie went out. Would only...

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

Puppy biting/chewing her fur [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 6 month old female westie. She has periodically chewed the fur on the front of her front legs. I've corrected her every time I've witnessed her in action. But I think she figured it out that she can chew when I'm not around and get away with it because now her front legs have bare spots...

Cats Matted Fur! [ 1 Answers ]

My cat was quite short haired, but of late she has bloomed into a mass of fur, she is constantly grooming and generally keeps her fur looking great but I've found some mats of hair at the back of her legs I keep shaving them off, but they keep coming back again, when she's been grooming herself...

-Fur Elise- Hard to Find Mix [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I have posted in many forums and no one can seem to help me id this song. It was the first track on the cd of rave/techno type music. The track was a Fur Elise mix that said the following things in the background: "This is the police put your hands up...up...up" "ecstasy, marijuana,...

View more questions Search