Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goralo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2007, 02:16 PM
    Broan Energy Star Fan Fluorescent Light and Night Lite - GFI Trips
    Replaced and existing bathroom fanlight with a new fan/fluorescent light unit.
    Existing circuit is on GFI breaker. Two switches provide power to unit. Shared neutral from switches to unit. After installing unit fan was fine. Light tripped GFI. Connected circuit to breaker and fan and light were fine. Reconnected GFI breaker. Removed fan unit from housing. While holding fan unit and light turned on the light and it was fine. Touched the fan unit to housing and breaker tripped. Reinstalled fan unit ; eliminated ground to light. The fan
    And light work on GFI without the light grounded. (Tried another fan unit and light from different box/ same result.) Note: Unit has night light ; neutral was connect to other neutrals, power line was capped. Did not find any voltage on ground or neutral. Did notice that the lamp would flash when I plugged it in with the switches off.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2007, 04:31 PM
    Sure sounds as if there is a ground fault in the ballast of the light, or the ballast is not compatible with the GFI.

Is GFI protection necessary for this fan/light because it is in a shower or tub enclosure? If not, then a standard circuit is needed for this light.

Some ballasts have a normal fault current that GFI detects, and unfortunately not much can be done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remote control on ceiling fan with a fluorescent light [ 4 Answers ]

I purchase a Home Depot ceiling fan with a fluorescent light. I bought a remote control for the fan but it cannot control the fluorescent light. Any thoughts on how I may reconfigure the wiring to use the remote? Thanks, Dan

GFI in the panel trips [ 1 Answers ]

I am working in a temporary building with; 16 offices, 16 A/c units, 4 people per office, computers and printers on every desk, refrigerators and battery back-ups plugged into every outlet available. There is a high load and power provided by a large 40 or 60 KW generator. The entrance panel has...

GFI Outlet Trips [ 4 Answers ]

We have an exterior GFI outlet that started continually tripping and then quit altogether. We installed a new one but it also is tripping frequently. Anyone have any suggestions please.

Do fluorescent light consume extra power when turned on? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I've been having an ongoing debate with several people for quite a few years now over whether the "fluorescent startup myth" is true or not. The legend is that although fluo's consume less power than incandescents while running, fluo's consume a lot of power when you first start them up -...

GFI trips when fliping switch [ 5 Answers ]

I have an outdoor fountain with a pump that is pluged into a new outlet next to the pump. I connected that outlet to an outdoor switch on the porch so I can turn the punp on and off without going to the fountain. I taped into an existing outdoor outlet on the porch and put the switch next to...

View more questions Search