Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teddog Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2011, 12:06 AM
    Blue heeler vs my chooks
    HI, I've purchased a blue heeler male puppy recently and he is around 10-11 weeks. He has been really good in most things, like potty training and coming when called except when my 5 laying =hens are let out of an afternoon. He will listen to a point but still continues to chase them when I turn my back and has started to actually catch them and pin them down and give them a bit of a chew. Obviously they are not happy about this and neither am I. I end up having to chain him up so they can pick and scratch in piece around the yard. I've tried the rolled up newspaper, telling him firmly NO, and even walking him on a lead around them and when he goes to chase them I pull him up and tell him NO. It's not working which is frustrating me as he is great in all other aspects of training. Has anyone got any advice for me? I would be grateful.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 13, 2011, 01:34 PM

I understand how frustrated you are, but it's your dogs instinct to chase and attack these birds. Sounds like he may have a high prey drive, which is not un common for most hunting/herding breeds. Dogs are carnivores and predators, individual dogs all have some drive to chase and kill prey. Some dogs have a high level of predatory aggression, making them unsafe around smaller animals, wild animals.

You are on the right track, making sure your dog is never left unattended with small animals is going to be step one. In most cases positive reinforcement can redirect your dogs attention and desire. Teaching your dog commands like "leave it" or "look here" can great help you, but remember even if you can re-direct his attention when you are around, most dogs with a high predatory drive will return to their natural instincts as soon as you are not around to remind them how to behave.

So, in short, you may never be able to cure his natural instincts, but you can watch for triggers and learn to control them. Remember, that even though he is your family pet, he is still an animal with natural instincts and desires.

Good luck, and I hope this has helped.
    teddog Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2011, 01:54 PM
    Comment on Aurora_Bell's post
    Thanks Aurora_Bell, I'll try those commands on him. He surprised me when I first got him at 6 weeks, I let the chooks out for the first time around him and he straight away round them up and put them back into their pen. Sounds like the chain might have to stay then.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2011, 01:57 PM

Dogs and birds are not a good combination. I don't know of any dog that won't chase a chicken and eat it. It is inherent in them from the old ages.

Don't swat your dog with rolled up newspaper. It's a very useless tactic.. and as you can see, it doesn't help or train him.

He is only 11 weeks old. Give him time. He isn't going to understand what he can and can't have for quite some time. Teach him commands, such as LEAVE IT. This command will become very useful for you in your situation.

Don't ever trust your dog around your birds. Heelers especially, are dogs with a VERY high drive to hunt, herd and kill. You are asking a lot for him to not want to chase them down and maul them.

Also.. don't make the birds a scary thing. You want the birds to become a part of his environment. Taking him next to them and screaming at him and swatting him with a newspaper is only going to make them a mysterious and forbidden object that he really, really likes.

Teach your commands first. Use each day he is around your birds as a lesson. Don't allow him lose until he obeys you with the LEAVE IT command while on leash. This isn't something that's going to happen over night. It takes time and patience on your part. If you are not willing to train him correctly then keep your birds and your dog sparate at all times.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Jun 13, 2011, 11:07 PM
    I see by your comment to Aurora Bell that he has a well developed herding instinct. Most herders don't want to injure whatever they're 'organizing', just control it. But realize, you will only be really successful in training your dog how to better herd things, and commands for that role, not to train him avoid doing things that have been bred into his breed for generations. He will be a tremendously frustrated dog if you persist in trying to get him to stop. Better to keep the dog and chickens separated unless you want to try your hand at encouraging his development along those lines.

That may not be what you want to do, but get a book on the topic, or maybe just a book on Blue Heelers will fill you in on how to deal with their instincts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

16 week Blue Heeler - Training [ 7 Answers ]

Please help! We had our Female Blue Heeler for 3 weeks now and she hates her crate, would not stop barking, and the past two days now she has pooped in it in the middle of the night. We were doing really well with her being housebroken and going outside and the past two days she went back to...

Blue heeler biting/jumping [ 5 Answers ]

We have a 5 month old blue heeler/golden retriever female, spayed 1 week ago. She spends all her time outside--occasionally allowed inside. She had a very hard time biting and chewing several weeks ago, but by using vinegar spray, we've been fairly successful controlling that. However, she...

Blue Heeler [ 13 Answers ]

We have a four year old Blue heeler. Is the BEST dog anyone could ask for. Obedience is great- Only problem we can't seem to correct is when he is in the car. He has separation anxiety(He was also a rescue dog which I think may be the cause). When we leave him in the car/truck to grab a pop-or even...

2 month old male blue heeler [ 4 Answers ]

My 17 year old son just bought a 2 month old male blue heeler from our local pet store. He is a beautiful puppy, but we need help getting his attention. We can call him, whistle, clap, etc. and he just doesn't really respond as other puppies we have had in the past did. At first I was thinking...

Blue heeler mix [ 1 Answers ]

I have mixed breed male and female puppies (1 each) and think that their temperament is primarily blue heeler. Any training tricks (I've seen the NO negative training)?

View more questions Search