Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helena Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2007, 06:59 AM
    About jack russell puppies
    I have a new jack russell puppy 8 weeks old when do I innoculate and can I give him dried food and scraps rather than canned dog food?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2007, 04:49 PM
    I really hope you aren't planning on doing the shots yourself. I would leave them and the schedule to your vet. If you insist on doing them yourself, you may find a schedule at American Veterinary Medical Association. I have also found Dog & Pet Supplies - Vet Vax, Inc Pet Supply Store for dogs, cats, horses. trustworthy. You can't trust much of what is on the net

They should be on a dry puppy chow now. Please don't add table scraps. There is no way you are ever going to able to give them the complete and balanced diet they need if you include table scraps. Canned food is never a good idea. Dogs' teeth and jaws need the exercise of chewing the dry food. It also scrapes off bad breath causing tartar. Modern chows are carefully formulated to give your dog exactly what it needs. The less you add, the better for the dog.

There is a wealth of material in the sticky at the top of the forum for new puppy owners. Start at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802
    badams007 Posts: 106, Reputation: 12

Jan 27, 2007, 04:54 PM
    Helena -

Your new baby is just that, a baby, and the best way to start him off is to study all you can so you can make the kind of decisions you will look back and be glad you made.

You have opted for a breed that requires an owner who is particularly committed to being well informed, and who will enthusiastically engage in properly training him. Otherwise, you run the risk of having a true terrierist on your hands when he's 12-18 months.

As for the food, he should be fed only dry kibble, and it can be softened a little with water, but not soaking wet. Avoid canned and scraps to avoid weight problems, dental problems, and ending up with a dog so spoiled it won't eat kibble.

Choose one of the many good quality puppy kibbles and be sure to measure the amount and stick with the same brand & variety through at least the first 6-8 months.

Labman is very very likely to have stickies at the top of this forum on this topic.

Good Luck

-Beth

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Jack Russell toilet training! [ 6 Answers ]

We have a jack russell who we "adopted" from a lady who kept him in a small flat. He wasn't toilet trained and he just will not learn! We leave paper on the floor, take him for regular walks, and we've even tried leaving the back door open at night (our german shepherd would scare off any would-be...

Problems with jack russell [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone very new to this but I have a few problems with my jack russell she is 4 I would like to ask you all if you don't mind. I have not took her to the vet yet because I don't actually know if it's all normal and me being paranoid. I have looked on the net but it is very hard to find things...

Sudden problem with jack russell [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. This morning I came home from work and my jack russell was sleeping with my wife like usual. When I came in the room I put him on the floor to go outside and use the bathroom but he just sat back down. When I would walk and call him to me he would stand but seem wobbly and stick a back leg...

About my jack russell [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old darling jack russell. He just got a rabie shot yesterday. March 5. today he is very calm, and quite, he won't eat or drink. He just sleeps. Is this the reaction to the rabie shot. Please someone answer my question. This is my first dog. I am elderly. Got him for a...

Jack Russell turned vicious & won't eat [ 2 Answers ]

Our 15+ year old Jack Russell ***** has attacked our 15+ year old Golden Retriever ***** 6 times now. Last attacked resulted in bad bite to the Jack's nose. We have cleaned the wound and treated it with antibiotic cream and she is resting but still will not eat or drink. She looks like she is in...

View more questions Search