Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    b_beagle Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2006, 06:27 PM
    Too early for shots?
    We got our puppy at 9 weeks and according to the shot schedule, he received his shots at 9 weeks. This Sat. he is turing 11 weeks old and we were thinking of getting him vaccinated again this weekend before the holidays come along and most vets are closed. Is it too early for him to get his vaccionations at 11 weeks? Any info or link will be great. Thanks all. Happy holidays!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2006, 07:45 PM
    Puppies don't need all the shots they get. For parvo and other things, what they need is one shot in the window between the immunity from their mother wearing off and 2 weeks before being exposed to anything. So why do most vets give so many shots? It is easier to give the puppy a combo shot than check it to see if the shot will take. So I would say, call the vet and go with his judgment. My vet goes to extremes with shots ever 2 weeks. For more on this, see http://www.avma.org/communications/b...o_brochure.asp

One important thing to remember is that no matter how many shots a young puppy has had, it can still catch parvo from one sniff of a place a sick dog eliminated and die quickly without treatment.
    pumpkin1979 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2006, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by b_beagle
    We got our puppy at 9 weeks and according to the shot schedule, he received his shots at 9 weeks. This Sat. he is turing 11 weeks old and we were thinking of getting him vaccinated again this weekend before the holidays come along and most vets are closed. Is it too early for him to get his vaccionations at 11 weeks? Any info or link will be great. Thanks all. Happy holidays!
    Here is a web site with information for puppy shots http://www.petcaretips.net/vaccinati...dule_dogs.html hope that helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rabie Shots [ 1 Answers ]

How Old Should A Puppy Be Before They Get Their First Rabie Shot?

Rabie shots [ 1 Answers ]

Our new puppy recently had her first rabie shots, afterwards there was a lump. The doctor said something to the effect that this was white blood cell build up and prescribed an anti biotic liquid. Is this common and is this dangerous to the puppy??

Question on shots [ 5 Answers ]

I am giving away one of my dogs. Her name is skippy. This dog just showed up on our farm as a stray, and I am not longer able to take care of her, due to being in college and about 3 hrs away. I have had her for a few years, but have not kept her up on her shots. Now the family that I am going to...

Rabie Shots [ 6 Answers ]

When Are Puppies Suppose To Get There First Rabie Shot

Distemper Shots [ 9 Answers ]

I am a new puppy owner & going through the series of shots needed. My pekingese has gotten 1 distemper shot & her rabies shot (on separate days); however, after her distemper she was crazy. It appeared as if she forgot her name & she barly walked around. She was rolling everywhere and flipping...

View more questions Search