Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lotte73 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2009, 01:05 PM
    Puppy Shih Tzu being housetrained!
    Hi, Please help!

I have a 6 month old Shih Tzu and I am desperately trying to train her to pee outside! We take her out constantly, sometimes she will go, but majority of the time she wee's on our carpets! She's excellent during the night, we leave puppy pads down and she hardly ever goes on them, and we leave them down when I go to work (I work part-time) and when I get home or children get home from school we always take her out!

We are getting fed up now as she gives NO indication that she needs to go potty! Please help, any advice would really be appreciated!

Thanks
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2009, 04:11 PM

I hate to say it but that's a Shih Tzu down to a T.
    I had one a few years back and I had to give her away because we struggled to house train her.
    She ended up going to an eldery couple who didn't work and already had another Tzu, they worked with her constantly and after a few months they got her trained.

Another friend of mine is a breeder (where I got mine from) and all her males wear doggy diapers because they are dirty in the house, her problem though is that she does have a lot of dogs and she works full time so training is difficult.

I think the key with Shih Tzus is just constant training until they understand what is expected of them.
    Whatever you do don't lost hope, just keep trying, make sure you take her out every hour when possible and praise like crazy when she goes outside.
    I would have worked harder with mine but my work schedule didn't allow it and I was living with my parents at the time... they weren't impressed with her.
    Lotte73 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2009, 12:33 AM

Thanks Shaz, I had a feeling you were going to say that Shih Tzu's are just like that! I will persevere with her... watch this space!

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Shih Tzu puppy [ 1 Answers ]

This is my first time asking a question so IDK how it will go... It's not super serious but I would like serious answers only please. :) My Shih Tzu puppy who's about 6, maybe 7 monthes old has inward growing eyelashes so he will be having sugery for that but in the mean time I got him some...

Puppy shih tzu [ 39 Answers ]

I would like to know, the puppy I would like to get her nose is not develop yet, I'm just scared I may have to drill her nose just so she can breathe. The breeder said the mom is the same way, and her nose is fine. The dad has a big nose and sister already has a nose, the pups are right now are 5...

How to take care of a shih tzu puppy? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I just got a 3 months old shih tzu (I named it ficco) and He doesn't want to be put in the crate so I just let him in a small room with papers on every corners. The problem is.. is it okay if I leave him in that room from 7am-3pm? Because I'm in college. Though I have a maid who only gives...

Shih Tzu Puppy Throwing Up [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 5+ month old shih tzu puppy. He has been throwing up about every other morning since last week. (Including today, has thrown up two days in a row since he also did yesterday.) Very odd. He is still eating, pooping/peeing regularly. Everything looks good. He had been on muscle...

Puppy shih-tzu [ 2 Answers ]

My puppy who is four months old, just started licking a tearing up her puppy pads and if she misses the pad and it gets pee pee on the floor she is licking it up. This is strange and she just started doing this:( :( :confused:

View more questions Search