Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drip67 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2003, 08:30 AM
    House training dog
    We have a 3 year old dog, Dalmation/Border Collie mix. He has been an outside dog all his life, we want to bring him inside. What is the best way to house train this dog? Thank you.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2003, 11:51 AM
    house training dog
    Very good, dogs belong in the house with the people that they see as other pack members. This help fill dogs' need to be part of a pack. It also solves many of the problems of having a dog outside. It does lead to inside problems, but it may go better than you expect.

I am not sure what his past lifestyle has been. Likely he is managing to keep his bowel movements away from his sleeping area. He may even be happy to continue to use the same area. You and he just need to learn to communicate about when he needs to go out. Most people quickly figure out that when the dog goes and stands by the door, it wants out. Unfortunately a few dogs fail to realize that is all they need to do. In that case, you need to learn other signs. I am going to paste in material meant for younger dogs. You can find more that you need in it. Also material on crating if you need it.

Housebreaking starts before you get home with the new puppy. If you don't have
    A crate, buy one. I prefer the more enclosed, den like plastic ones. Skip the
    Bedding. At first it gets wet, and later it can be chewed into choking
    Hazards. A wire rack in the bottom will help keep the puppy up out of
    Accidents at first. They are available with the crates, but a piece of closely
    Spaced wire closet shelving from a home supply place is cheaper. If you
    Already have a metal crate, covering it may help. Just make sure you use
    Something the puppy can't pull in and chew. Dogs that start in crates as
    Little puppies, accept them very well. Never leave an unattended puppy loose
    In the house. If nobody can watch it, put it in the crate. I suggest letting
    The dog have its crate all its life.

Choose a command and spot you want it to use. The less accessible to strays,
    The less chance of serious disease. If it is a female, choosing a
    Non grassy spot will avoid brown spots later. When you bring it home, take it
    To the spot and give it the command in a firm, but friendly voice. Keep
    Repeating the command and let the puppy sniff around. If it does anything,
    Praise it. Really let it know what a good dog it is and how much you love it,
    And maybe a treat. Note, being out there not only means you can praise it,
    But it also keeps it from being snatched by a hawk. If it doesn't go, take it
    Inside and give it a drink and any meals scheduled. A young puppy will need to
    Go out immediately afterward. Go to the spot and follow the above routine.
    Praising it if it goes is extremely important. If it doesn't go, take it back
    Inside and put it in its crate and try again soon. Do not let it loose in the
    House until it does go.

At first it is your responsibility to know and take the puppy out when it
    Needs to go. It needs to go out the first thing in the morning, after eating,
    Drinking, and sleeping. If it quits playing, and starts running around
    Sniffing, it is looking for a place to go. Take it out quickly. You will just
    Have to be what I call puppy broke until it is a little older.

Do to space limitations, continued in another reply.

labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2003, 11:52 AM
    house training dog
    Do to space limitations, continued in another reply.

By the time most dogs are about 3 months old, they have figured out that if
    They go to the door and stand, you will let them out. The praise slowly shifts
    To going to the door. Some people hang a bell there for the dog to paw. If
    Your dog doesn't figure this out, try praising it and putting it out if it
    Even gets near the door. A stern "Bad dog!" is all the punishment that is
    Effective, and only when you catch it in the act and are sure you didn't miss
    It going to the door. Clean up accidents promptly. I mostly keep the little
    Puppies out of the carpeted rooms. Still I need the can of carpet foam
    Sometimes. First blot up all the urine you can with a dry towel. Keep moving
    It and stepping on it until a fresh area stays dry. A couple big putty knives
    Work well on bowel movements. Just slide one under it while holding it with
    The other. This gets it up with a minimum of pushing it down into the carpet.
    This works with even relatively soft ones, vomit, dirt from over turned house
    Plants, or anything else from solids to thick liquids. Finish up with a good
    Shot of carpet foam. Note, do not let the puppy lick up the carpet foam.
    Once the dog is reliably housebroken, your carpet may need a good steam cleaning.

Other dogs may
    Not be as bad as the young Labs I am plagued with. Still your house and dog
    Will be much safer with the dog in a crate when you are away. The dog may be
    Happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its
    Den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving
    Its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them
    Will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic
    Ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. They are harder for
    Dogs to open too. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with
    Something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select
    A crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave
    Anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any
    Bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

If the dog hasn't been crated all along, start putting the crate in one of
    Its favorite sleeping spots. If you have able to trust the dog with a cushion,
    Blanket, or bed, put it in the crate. Next, put its toys in, maybe treats too.
    Feeding the dog there is a great way to convince it the crate is a good place.
    It is also a great way to maintain order with more than one dog at feeding
    Time.
    drip67 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2003, 02:50 PM
    house training dog
    Thanks for the advice, he is already used to a crate, he sleeps in one at night in the basement, so I think bringing it upstairs won't be a big deal. :)
    dutchwolf Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2003, 05:45 PM
    house training dog
    Hi ,
    Don't worry about the house training. When the daig ahs been outside always then h'e used to do his "things" outside and because of the habbit he won't do anything inside.
    dutchwolf Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2003, 06:02 PM
    House training dog
    Hi,
    It might be that your boxer mix is a mixed breed with Retriever. Than it 's possible he's suffering from Progressive Retina Atrophy, an eye-disease which slowly breaks down the eye-cells. Ask your vet to test him for this.
    Succes

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

House Training a Mini Dachshund [ 4 Answers ]

Hey All...First off I'm a newbie to the site and wanted to say that I have been reading on the advice passed from each and am wondering if I can get some ideas. I have a mini dachshund that is 1 yr old. I have had dachshunds all my life but none have ever been this stubborn. My lil Sammie is a...

Training for 5K [ 2 Answers ]

I've reluctantly agreed to do a 5K one month from today- I'm overweight (5' 5" and 170lbs:( ) and very out of shape so I need to start training. Any suggestions on how to start? Currently the only exercise I get outside of normal daily activities of caring for a home and 2 small children is...

Job training [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Ghanaian and completed my Tertiary education in 2004,had done my national service.I have had a hard time finding job because I am told during interview that I have no job training. I did mechanical eng. Ples help me out Nat

Pet Store Puppy and House Training Problems [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I purchased Baxter a 5.5 month old Boston terrier about 3.5 months ago from a pet store. The first two weeks he had such severe pnuemonia he was at the vets on and off. Once he got over that we decided to crate train him since this was suppose to be the best method out there. We got...

Training [ 2 Answers ]

I have a five year old lab and golden retriver mix. I have a problem with him listening to me outside. He listens good to commands inside but when I take him out or he breaks loose he will not come back to me. I have never hit or abused him . I don't know what to do about it. He knows what...

View more questions Search