Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SeanMay1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2006, 02:53 PM
    Pit Bull Puppy Shots
    I have a pitbull she is 12 weeks today, she doesn't have any shots yet, I want to go buy the shots for her, I just don't know what to get, can somebody tell me which shots I need and how many times for each one, I would appreciate any help with this matter
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2006, 03:57 PM
    I can't give you a link to a schedule. You might find one at www.akc.org or http://www.avma.org/communications/b...mal_health.asp Vendors such as www.vetvax.com, might have one. My 7 week old Sheba came with DHLP and CPV, and a schedule calling for DHLPP and Bordetella at 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 months, and rabies at 3 1/2. This was from a very experienced dog guide school. Many vets delay rabies until 6 months, while some states require it sooner. In most areas you puppy also needs heart worm medicine and a flea preventative. Some of the over the counter flea stuff works well enough. I have my 2 dogs on Revolution preventing fleas, heart worm and other worms.

I really don't like the idea of doing my own vaccinations.
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Oct 29, 2006, 05:34 PM
    First over the counter vaccinations have a 3% sero-conversion. Meaning that 3 out of 100 dogs actually get what they need. Giving the owner a false sense of security. It is best to get the proper vaccinations from a vet. Depending on where you live, and what exposure your puppy has to certain types of diseases will make a difference on the types of vaccinations they should get.
    Many over the counter vacs are a 5 in 1 or a 7 in 1. Most dogs don't need all of those and the Lepto is only effective for 4 months and depending on what strain of lepto is in your area may not even be the type to protect it.
    Of course a lay person would not know all of these things which is why you should start a good releationship with a veterinarian in your area. Heartworm should be started NOW, as well as flea prevention. Reveolution is what we use, but for a puppy also deworm since Revolution does NOT take care of worms in dogs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Concerns about mixed pit puppy [ 8 Answers ]

About two weeks ago my nephew's friend had a puppy dumped off in their yard. They already have 7 dogs and his mom finally said no more. My nephew said it was a golden retriever mix. After some discussion, my husband and I decided to let him have the dog. After we got it home and began looking...

Ban of pit bull dogs [ 82 Answers ]

----------------- Bulletin Message ----------------- "Rep. Wesselhoft said the proposed bill will also include provisions designed to bring about an eventual ban of pit bull dogs in the state. The grandfather clause contained in the bill would allow for the continuing existence of pit bulls...

7 year old pit bull [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. My name is Brad and I'm new here. I have a question about my 7 year old pitbull. He is in heat because we have a 9 month old girl who just started her period. My question is. What do I do if my dog will not eat while in heat? I know the vet is the best thing to do but I just had spine...

Recently got a 4 year old pit bull [ 6 Answers ]

Three days ago I went and picked up a 4 year old pit bull and the pit bull weighs 90 pounds real health she is also fixed can't have pups my only concern is that she is not ate nothing but a hotdog so far and its been 3 days she is drinking water as she needs it the temp outside has been fairly hot...

New Pit Bull won't eat [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I just rescued a beautiful Brindle Pit Bull. He is about 2 yrs old. I brought him home last night, he didn't eat then I thought because he was new to our family. He had been mistreated. Today he fits in like he has been here for years, playing with the kids wagging his tail and having a ball....

View more questions Search