Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    foxygirldude Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 02:56 PM
    Help My Puppy!!
    I adopted a 14 week old puppy about 2 weeks ago. He was fine until about a couple days ago I noticed his front legs bend inward. I thought it was normal at first because of his crossbreeds between a boxer and german shepherd. But as I watched him walk and play I was concerned. You know how a normal dogs ankles can bend straight... well my puppy's ankles only bend so far. They can bend all the was back, but only a little bit up. So bascially he walks on bent legs. They start to shake now when he stands. Does anyone know what's wrong or what happened? Thank you.
    cjbeliever Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 04:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by foxygirldude
    I adopted a 14 week old puppy about 2 weeks ago. He was fine untill about a couple days ago i noticed his front legs bend inward. I thought it was normal at first because of his crossbreeds between a boxer and german shepherd. But as I watched him walk and play I was concerned. You know how a normal dogs ankles can bend straight...well my puppy's ankles only bend so far. They can bend all the was back, but only a little bit up. So bascially he walks on bent legs. They start to shake now when he stands. Does anyone know whats wrong or what happend?? Thank you.
    Hi,
    Sorry to hear about your pup's problems. Just fyi, I have five little dogs and none of their feet go forward, they will all bend backward, toward their bodies, but not away. Dogs tend to walk on their toes basically. Given the shaking, etc, I have not heard of the combination of symptoms that you mention but since they are unusual in your view, and given the possibility that the little guy is in pain, perhaps you should try to get him to a vet, which is likely to be the only place you will find answers you can trust and options for treatment and care of his particular difficulties in time to prevent him from doing himself further harm (if he is indeed already hurting). Animals can have a myriad of difficulties normally considered "human" ailments that range from arthritis to birth defects to vascular or even psychological problems that could effect them in such a way, but until you know for sure what you are dealing with, no other advice is likely to be very good advice, because he could be hurt rather than helped by we, the well meaning. It can cost a fortune to take on a lengthy treatment with a vet, but chances are that you will find out enough in the first visit or two to help you with his care right away. At least you will know for sure that he has a problem, whether his food is sufficient for his needs, and whether he should be closely monitored when exercising and so forth.
    I hope it all turns out OK. Hang in there mom... :-)
    foxygirldude Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 04:09 PM
    Thank you. He has an apointment tomorrow. It's a growth disorder I guess and he needs a cast. Thank you!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2006, 05:09 PM
    On medical matters, the best you can hope for on the net is help knowing what questions to ask the vet. I hope your appointment goes well.
    ashleygabby Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2006, 06:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by foxygirldude
    I adopted a 14 week old puppy about 2 weeks ago. He was fine untill about a couple days ago i noticed his front legs bend inward. I thought it was normal at first because of his crossbreeds between a boxer and german shepherd. But as I watched him walk and play I was concerned. You know how a normal dogs ankles can bend straight...well my puppy's ankles only bend so far. They can bend all the was back, but only a little bit up. So bascially he walks on bent legs. They start to shake now when he stands. Does anyone know whats wrong or what happend?? Thank you.
    If he doesn't seem to be in pain or hurting I wouldn't mind it! Iof he seems to be in pain take him to the fit, he could need surgery or seomething
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Oct 29, 2006, 05:39 PM
    Was it Rickets?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy [ 7 Answers ]

I have a puppy that is 16 weeks, she has very dry skin I would like to know what kind of shampoo to use she has black fur and she looks white now with all the dry skin please help.

My Puppy [ 3 Answers ]

:) Okay my three year old dog just had puppies and she had seven of them six of the puppies have there eyes open but the other puppy does not have it eyes open yet and I am worried about it is there some way I can open it or put something on it to make it open. They were born October. 3 2006....

New Puppy [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I have an eight week old dachshund puppy that I've had for three days. This moring I noticed a very small amount of blood in her stool that she passed at the very end. How serious is this? Thank you, Kelly

When is a puppy not a puppy anymore? [ 3 Answers ]

Our Lhasa is now 10 months old. As a puppy we have had food available pretty much at all times, but maybe he's getting past that now, and for his weight should maybe only be fed about a cup to a cup and a half of his dog meal a day. We have been using Wysong, by the way, and it seems to have a...

New Puppy [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 6yr old dog (scrappy) a kitten (tuxeda) and a cat (amber) and I just got a new 3 month old shepherd mix (kaden). Scrappy gets along fine with Kaden but my cats won't come downstairs how can I get them used to the new addition to the family? Its only been 2 days so maybe they just need time...

View more questions Search