Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    number9forlife1 Posts: 51, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2009, 09:24 AM
    Panic attacks
    I think I have panic attacks, so I looked up some of the feelings that you can get from them and so on... um turns out everything that I'm feeling is pretty much what they said some signs of panic attacks are. They also run in the family, both of my parents get them, my aunt, and my grandparents... but people were telling me that there isn't a cure for them, like anything you can do to get the to go away besides a perscreption from the doctor, and this hasn't been my first one. But my question is, should I tell my parents about them? Because usually if something is wrong with me, my mom just tells me I'm fine or it isn't that bad, or I've even got a you're lying from her... what should I do?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2009, 09:45 AM

You should try to talk with your parents about it. Panic attacks can become serious over time. An appointment to a therapist would be of great help.
    rsb8 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Aug 23, 2009, 10:20 AM
    I think you should tell you mom even if you don't want to tell her because she might say what you think she will say

Aug 23, 2009, 10:21 AM

Yeah I should but I don't know how to start up about it... because I don't really talk to her about this stuff, I just keep it to myself. And even if she does believe me and stuff, then I don't want her freaking out about it.

Aug 23, 2009, 10:55 AM

NEWSFLASH:i was telling my mom about when the panic attack happened, and it was while me and my friend were at the fair and we were talking about one of the rides, and I was like yeah, by the way I had a panic attack on it... and she laughed... and shook her head. So she doesn't believe me... so much for trying!
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2009, 01:11 PM

Yeah, getting tattooed, then wanting to be pierced... if I were parent, I would have doubted too... =/

Have you been really serious about this with your mom?
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2009, 03:08 PM

Yeah, well, in that circumstance, I wouldn't have believed you either.
    At the fair, talking about the ride, is a time for fun, joking around. Not a time to bring up something serious like that.

But, anyway, you said your parents get them too? Why don't you say something like "Mom, remember when [however you found out about her panic attacks]? Well, I get panic attacks too. What should I do?"

Approach her in a sincere way, a calm environment, and be serious. She will know you are telling the truth, and tell you what you need to know. If she has gotten along with it, I'm sure she can help you.

Aug 23, 2009, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    Yeah, getting tattooed, then wanting to be pierced... if I were parent, I would have doubted too... =/

Have you been really serious about this with your mom?
    Um what's that suppose to mean? Again I DIDN'T get the flippin tattoo, or the piercing... what the heck does having a panic attack have to do with that?? And yes I have been serious with her, I just don't think she relizes how bad I get mine when I do get them!

Aug 23, 2009, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HelpinHere View Post
    Yeah, well, in that circumstance, I wouldn't have believed you either.
    At the fair, talking about the ride, is a time for fun, joking around. Not a time to bring up something serious like that.

But, anyway, you said your parents get them too? Why don't you say something like "Mom, remember when [however you found out about her panic attacks]? Well, I get panic attacks too. What should I do?"

Approach her in a sincere way, a calm enviornment, and be serious. She will know you are telling the truth, and tell you what you need to know. If she has gotten along with it, I'm sure she can help you.
    Um I don't get what you're saying about the fair... do you mean like you wouldn't believe me if you were my mom because it's suppose to be a fun place to be and stuff? I just don't get what that means... and when I try talking to my mom about them(yes I even tried it like you said to do) she laughs and shakes her head... I think my grandparents are the only ones that believe me, since I was at their house before when I had my first one.
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2009, 12:33 AM

It simply means that it is difficult for your mom to believe you in such circumstances. You said that is ran in your family, both of your parents. What about your father then? And you just said that your grandparents are the only one to believe you. Why not try to go towards them and ask them how they managed the attacks? :rolleyes:
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2009, 04:01 AM

Do you have any other examples you could give them of when it happened?

I agree with helpinhere that the theme park wasn't the best example. I have said to people "I went on this ride and I was so scared, and started panicking"
    Yep well, the rides are supposed to be scary, that's the point!

If you can give a different example in a different setting to them it might help.
    Tell them how you feel when it is happeneing, explain to them completely what happens during the attacks.
    Don't just bring it up and say "I had a panic attack" as yes, they probably won't take it seriously, you need to explain in more detail.
    beckneedham Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2009, 08:36 AM

I have them too. They are really horrible, definitely tell your parents about them. Do you know the trigger? You could try cognitive behavioural therapy or a hypnotherapist. Xx
    bij15yassin Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2009, 08:58 AM

I really sympathise with you. I know how panic attacks can be scary and can take over your life. Please talk to someone who can get you help asap because if left too long panic attacks can bring on severe depression.
    About your mom, just try to approach her without a preconceived idea about how she might react. I know that has been a barrier between me and mom and am still working on that. But at the end of the day nobody cares for you more than your own mom.
    jenniferroxanne Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2010, 10:28 PM

How old are you? If your of an age where this is reasonable, I suggest the next time you have one, go to the emergency room and explain what just happened to a doctor. They well ask you the history of these attacks, and then contact your mother with their opinion. Panic attacks can become a serious thing, and if your out of options, then this is my best advice.
    Kira17 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2010, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by number9forlife1 View Post
    NEWSFLASH:i was telling my mom about when the panic attack happened, and it was while me and my friend were at the fair and we were talking about one of the rides, and i was like yeah, by the way i had a panic attack on it...and she laughed...and shook her head. so she doesn't believe me....so much for trying!
    I suffer from chronic Dysthymia with bouts of depression and bad anxiety (which sometimes leads to panic attacks). My mom doesn't know about it (I'm 18), and the one time I tried to confide in my older sister (34) and best friend (18) they simply didn't understand. In cases such as this, you should really tell someone who actually understands what you're going through. I find it odd that your mom would brush off your symptoms like that when she herself suffers from panic attacks. Perhaps you just came off the wrong way to her so she couldn't take you seriously. It's a maybe.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure that seeking help is involved. Anxiety in all forms can be dangerous. I know that whenever I get a heavy about I feel like the world has stopped and I'm locked in a small box filling with cold water. I can't breathe and my heart starts to pound and I have to hold on to something so I won't fall. I start thinking I'm about to pass out, or I start hoping I will. Really, don't let this be overlooked.

Honestly, thank god you don't suffer from depression, as well. Depression on top of anxiety is... well, it's really horrible.

Get help.

It's been a while since you posted this Q, so I'm hoping things are OK with you now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm having panic attacks and I don't know why [ 19 Answers ]

Okay, i refuse to give out any major details because im afraid someone i know might read this. I'm 15 years old and currently in a sexual relationship with my boyfriend. The only thing that worries me about being in a relationship right now, is that I fear I'm suffering from panic attacks :( For...

Panic attacks [ 13 Answers ]

For some reason every night for like the past 3 weeks I've had them and I'm on medicene now. Before I only had them maybe a few times a month or so. Its always been off and on but lately its been really really bad. Is there a way to get yourself to calm down from it? I seem OK when I forget it but...

Panic attacks? [ 3 Answers ]

S/O says he has panic attacks well been less then 6 months and he has broken ribs again I suspect asthma anyone here got any clues, also got large red circle in center of his chest grown larger as time goes by kind of remins me of ring worm but its not.

Panic Attacks [ 3 Answers ]

I am having panic attacks recently. I have to cut off at least one utility for some time to afford to have some dental work done. I think the cost will be between $500-$1,000, or more, from past experience. First, I'm going to cut off cable TV which I'm addicted to-I'm homebound and it is my...

Panic Attacks [ 1 Answers ]

My ten year old Brittany male, adopted 18 months ago, has had a thunder phobia that he's gotten much better about over time. Twice in the past three months he's had panic attacks when the weather was perfectly fine and there was nothing new or unusual in our home or routine. The other night he...

View more questions Search