Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sherie Broekema Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2006, 03:18 PM
    New puppies into a house with a 12 yr old dog
    We have had a male & female daschunds. The female just died and we have just purchased two 8 week old puppies. Our male dog is 12 years old. We just introduced them and our male dog has tried to bit the necks of both puppies several times. Is this to establish the alpha dog or would his intent be to kill them? All dogs are daschunds.

Thank you.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2006, 03:04 PM
    If it was dominance, more likely he would roll them on their back. If he is bristled up and growling, he may injure them. More likely he is just trying to make them leave him alone. Most dogs past about 3 years old want nothing to do with sharp toothed little puppies. Allow him to run them off with snaps and yelps. Support him, offering them alternative chews and praising them when they leave him alone just like other things in the house they need to leave alone.

For the fourth year in a row, we just subjected 13 year old Aster with a new puppy. She is not happy, but we try to keep the puppy away from her as much as possible.
    tre_cani Posts: 117, Reputation: 22

Oct 11, 2006, 03:28 PM
    We just introduced them and our male dog has tried to bit the necks of both puppies several times.
    I've always believed that as long as the aggressor does not draw blood, it was best to let the dogs establish their own place in the 'pack'. If that means a little nip here and there or, as labman said, 'a rollover' to assert one's place at the top, so be it.

Hopefully it's just his way of establishing himself as the leader and nothing more.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Worm in puppies [ 2 Answers ]

My puppy is a 18 week old mix Australian sheppard, and he has roundworms - first sign on Sunday. I brought him to the vets for a deworming on Monday 8am, and he also got his first vaccine, so since Sunday he will not eat a thing. He is lethargic and vomits about once every two hours (few worms),...

Puppies [ 1 Answers ]

My pug had two puppies they are now 8 1/2 weeks old. One just went to her new home today now the other puppy is acting kind of sad is it normal?

My pug puppies [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 six week old pug puppies that don't want to wean from there mother they cry for her so I was wondering do I keep them away from her all times or what.thanks

Can puppies be depressed? [ 5 Answers ]

Well, I have been having a lot of problems with my little Daschund in the past few days. He hides under the coach from my fiancée, and even though he still climbes in my lap, he won't let me pick him up. He seems really depressed. He won't eat sometimes. I called the breeder and let him know that...

Aggression in two puppies [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I have two 10 week old puppies, brother and sister doxies. The past few days the little girl has been showing a lot of aggression towards her brother in their play. They love to rough house, which I know is normal, but just how much aggression is normal. Should I be letting them play...

View more questions Search