Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scp_ok Posts: 84, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2009, 09:38 AM
    Planting Thuja Green Giants
    I'm planting 5 gallon (they are about 3' ~ 4' from the bucket up) Thuja Green Giant next to my fence for privacy. Any suggestions on how close to plant them to the fence. I plan to space them 4' apart from each others.
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Jun 1, 2009, 11:36 AM
    Hi scp_ok,

Years ago I wanted to plant Leyland Cypress (LC) on my property line for privacy, but didn't want to infringe on my neighbors property. I took the mature diameter of the LC avg. 7' divided by 2, added a little extra, and planted them 4' from the line.

So, according to that logic, and this site U.S. National Arboretum: Gardens: FAQs: 'Green Giant' Arborvitae , 4' from the fence would be okay, but your plan of 4' centers would be 2.5' too short.

If planted too close, your TGG's will have stunted side growth until they reach the top of your fence.
    scp_ok Posts: 84, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2009, 01:25 PM
    I know these will grow very tall and thought perhaps the 4' centers (to make sure I'm saying the right thing that is them being side by side) will control the height as they will be closer together. They are for a privacy hedge so don't really need them much over 12' so figure the close they are planted the less final height they will get. Is my understanding. Is that a correct statement.

Jun 1, 2009, 08:11 PM
    Sorry No. By the very name of your specimen, Giants, it is genetically predisposed to grow tall, in fact crowding may introduce competition that could kill them.
    Shipswake Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2009, 10:14 AM
    I am looking at planting the same thing. I seem to remember reading 6' on center. Not sure about the fence distance, my fence will be coming down when the plants are that high.

Jun 5, 2009, 04:24 PM
    Hi! Shipswake

If you check the link above, 3rd paragraph down it says on 6½' centers, and then it grew to 8' diameter.

Try these two sites for added information Conifers: Thuja Green Giant arborvitae, us national arboretum, thuja green giant
    PlantFiles: Detailed information on White Cedar, Eastern Arborvitae, American Arborvitae, Northern White Cedar Thuja occidentalis

And finally Check this link for a lively discussion on planting too close, Green Giant Arborvitae Advice - GardenBanter.co.uk

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Giants sized movie. [ 2 Answers ]

This movie was out in like the early 90's late 80's it had giants with greenish faces and they came to our time in the 90's and the the bean stalk ends up in his back yard and there is like news reporter all over reporting on the beanstalk... plus in the end the hero hides in a nice office from...

Go Giants! [ 5 Answers ]

Didn't I say they would win?

New York Giants [ 21 Answers ]

The Giants offense started strong with Eli Manning throwing right on target. He was able to keep his offense on the field and Favre and pals on the sideline. One can only wonder what the Giants would be like if he had two more receivers that could catch a football like Plaxico. The Packers...

The Giants Win the Super Bowl! [ 8 Answers ]

UNBELIEVABLE! Who'd have thunk it!! The greatest Giant victory ever! The greatest Giant season ever! The greatest Super Bowl Ever! WOW!!

What about Eli Manning and the Giants? [ 3 Answers ]

No interceptions for Ely; apparently his receivers decided to show-up and play. Can the Giants repeat v. the Cowboys? Who is watching Romo?

View more questions Search