Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melikinskitty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2009, 10:35 PM
    My 2 yr old yorkie seems to be sick.
    all of a sudden on Monday of last week tiffany my two yr old 3lb yorkie stopped eatting.. and then slowly stopped drinking.. I tried everything between Monday and Thursday when I first took her to the vet to get her to eat.. nothing..

then I broke down and took her to the vet.. they took x-rays and blood work and she was really dehydrated and saw a mass in her tummy so they iv'd her and sent her to the hospital $2000 later the hospital told me nothing was wrong with her.. just that she had become picky.. that she was a diva..

well they hand fed her baby food and it worked.. and she was rehydrated and all.. and they sent her home.. strintly baby food until today.. then slowly introduce today her dog food mixed with the baby food..

well she licked the baby food off the food and sit out the rest.. and will not drink AT ALL... they said don't worry.. she just needs a few days to get reajusted to food.. and she will drink... well.. hello.. wasn't that the reason I went there.. I spent $2000 for them to tell me nothing was wrong with her.. and her blood work.. and that she had diatery indescretion.. which meant.. she didn't feel like eating.. the vet said.. and since she was hyper the whole time (even now) there was nothing to worry about

what can I do.. she is home now.. and still whining like she is in pain.. and hasn't drank anything.. I have several different types of water out.. tap.. bottled.. britta filtered.. some mixed with the baby food.. some mixed with rice.. and some mixed with chicken..

all in different bowls.. on the floor away from where her food normally is and a bowl of water where her food usually is..

why is she still not drinking?

what can I do to help her from dehydrating?

I am at witts end.. I haven't slept more then an hour or so a night being so worried!!

any advice??
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Mar 23, 2009, 11:18 PM

I would advise you to get a second opinion from a different vet. The vet you took your dog to doesn't seem to care at all about your dogs health. This doesn't seem like a "picky" dog to me. Dehydration is dangerous, especially for a small dog like her that can dehydrate very quickly.
    msary80 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 05:44 PM

If you're interested in learning about dog diseases, please click the link below. Dog diseases - common dog diseases and symptoms
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2009, 04:09 AM
    Is she drinking at all? Even a small amount?
    If so get some electrolytes powder and mix it into her water to help rehydrate her. If she refuses to drink anything try getting an ice block (large one) some dogs love licking ice.
    Another alternative would be an eye dropper with water in it, just try to squirt a bit into her mouth slowly when she is sitting, every bit of water you can get into her will help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My 1yr old puppy is sick, vomiting.not worms, sick only in morning. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello:) I am new here.. My 1yr old pup, Gracie, is a house dog, she is 1/2 Pomeranian & 1/2 Min. Doberman. For the last few days she has been vomiting in the morning, that is the only time she does. We are very careful what she eats & as we live in town, she stays indoor.. even to void. She is...

Yorkie is sick! [ 11 Answers ]

hi I made a post maybe last year in the summer time about my yorkie being sick. Well now he is sick again we took him to the vet maybe 3 4 times in the past month. The vet thinks he has pacrenitus while the first vet we saw in the summer said it was nothing just bever fever.at first he was poopin...

Yorkie is really sick. Very sad don't know what to do [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 8 year old yorkie I don't know what is going on have tried a couple things like change his diet. But he has been seeming to have very bad gas when he goes poop its diarreha sorry can't spell and he seems to be throwing up a lot. It has been going on for hmm maybe 2 months now. I have been...

Sick 10 yr. Old yorkie and poodle mix [ 3 Answers ]

My 10 yr. old yorkie poodle mix has a bloated belly, he won't eat and his poop is really runny. I have tried everything, now I feel like I am out of options. Is there anyone who has any idea's of what it could be?

Yorkie may be sick... not sure... please help! [ 9 Answers ]

I just got a new yorkie... 10 months old. Her name is Lola. Please read and tell me what to do. What if this is really serious? This is the time line on the symptoms I have noticed: November 22nd Wednesday: received her as a surprise gift from my husband, didn't NOTICE any signs November 23rd...

View more questions Search