Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cherrykisses306 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2008, 07:14 AM
    6 week old puppy won't drink water
    My boyfriend and I just got a puppy for a pet store in the mall. She is a rat terrier and weighs 1.1 pound. She's supposedly 7 weeks old but the vet says she looks more like 6 weeks old.

Anyway, the first two days went really well but now she refuses to go near her water bowl. It's really stressing my boyfriend and I out. We've tried giving her a bath so she would drink the bath water and using a different dish. I even licked out of the dish to try and persuade her to drink it. The only thing that has worked is giving her snow from outside and then giving her water from a syringe.

Why would she stop drinking water? She wasn't eating well yesterday either but she finally ate some more this morning. She got heartworm meds a couple days ago and that's the only thing I can think of that would be effecting her stomach. I'm really worried about her but I'm hoping she is just adjusting to her new home.

Any tips would be great!
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 07:23 AM

It doesn't sound like she was properly weaned from the mother. How did the pet store get a puppy that young?

Dec 11, 2008, 07:37 AM
    I have no idea. I'm kind of pissed about it. I guess they lie about the age so they can sell them younger. Apparently they don't care about the effects that has on the puppies.

Dec 11, 2008, 07:52 AM

I should also add that her energy level has NOT decreased at all. She is still very energetic and playful. Also, she did drink water for the first two days.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 07:59 AM

Take her into the vet. Something isn't right. You shouldn't have been able to get her that early- not that it's your fault. It's not, but that's young. We got our puppy young too but we didn't have those kinds of issues.
    KARIEMELIA Posts: 110, Reputation: 8

Dec 11, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Last February I got my Chihuahua puppy from a breeder at 5 weeks old. Marley was way too young to be taken away. The breeder said he was eating and drinking just fine. When we got him home I realized he wasn't eating or drinking... he only had 2 teeth!! We ended up buying him Chicken baby food (he didn't like the turkey kind) and mixed it in with his dry puppy food and added water. I heated it in the microwave for 15 seconds and then he ate and drank! According to the vet, he wouldn't have made it had we not tried everything to get nutrients and water in him! Good luck, it takes a lot of patience!:)

Dec 11, 2008, 09:03 AM

We took her to the vet on Sunday and they tested her for parasites etc. They said she was healthy.
    Thanks for the baby food idea. I think she would eat that. We're going to try some new things tonight. My boyfriend is going to buy some chicken broth for her to drink until she comes around to the water idea.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy won't eat or drink [ 1 Answers ]

My puppy is 35 weeks old. 3 days ago she quit eating and drinking. I can't get her to eat anything or drink. I have tried giving her water through a dropper but she fights me. What could be wrong with her?

5 week old puppy---what to drink? [ 2 Answers ]

I have found a litter of puppies, I have taken one in and I took it to the vets this morning, the vet told me that it was about 5 weeks old. I have bought puppy milk replacement, it is like a formula to mix with warm water to feed through a bottle, but he does not take it, but he does not drink it...

Weimeraner puppy who will not eat or drink [ 2 Answers ]

My 2 1/2 month old pup began throwing up during the night and will not eat or drink since. He still seems to be alert but his gums also appear a little pale. What should I do? I am going to the vets this afternoon but in the meantime what can I do to help him?:(

My puppy won't drink! [ 1 Answers ]

We just adopted a 9 week old Terrier from our local SPCA on Tuesday. He just got his second set of shots yesterday and now he isn't drinking too much water. He is eating good, playing very good, and no problems with potty. He is in a really good mood but not drinking concerns me. Any tips or...

My puppy won't eat or drink [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I have a blue nose pitbull she is about 6 weeks old and its hard to get her to eat her puppy chow it has to be warm crushed up and with like this puppy milk in it and she almost refuse to drink water ever what can I do to get her on hard food and drinking water?

View more questions Search